D3D Problem

G

Ok, before I get into the actual problem I'm having, I'll start off with a bit of background information...

Almost 3 years ago I bought a Compaq Presario, with a pII 350, and a then state-of-the-art Diamond Vipper 550 (16MB TNT, AGP.) This system lasted about 3 months before I started gradually replacing Compaq parts with my own. About a month ago this was my setup:

pII 350
384 pc-100 SDRAM
Sound Blaster Live
ELSA Erazor X (32MB GeForce 256)
Original Compaq MB
(And a few other insignifacant things, like CD-ROM, etc)

At this point I was starting to have some serious problems, which I attributed to my pitiful 165-watt power supply and Compaq Motherboard.

So, I got a nice new case w/ a 300 watt power supply, and a TYAN Trinity 400 S1854 motherboard. After I got everything installed into the new case and motherboard, I spent several hours running various games and programs, everything worked fine and I was happy.

Well, almost. The computer still *thought* it was a Compaq, even though my CD-ROM drive is now the only Compaq part left.

So, I backed up all my important "stuff", formatted, and then re-installed. Everything seemed to install fine, but when I tried to run a 3D game on my new install it crashed horribly.

After a few tests I discovered that the problem is only with Direct 3D. Direct Draw works ok, as does Software rendering, and OpenGL.

I've installed all the drivers for my motherboard, and the latest bios version is already pre-installed. Also, I've got the latest nVidia drivers, and am using Direct X 8.0. (Plus, since everything was working before I re-installed windows, it can't be a Hardware or BIOS issue.)

As for *how* it doesn't work: If I run DXDiag.exe and run the 3 Display tests, the two 3D hardware tests (hardware spinning cube, and hardware spinning cube with textures) result in a blank black screen for a couple seconds, then I am asked if I saw the cube. No errors, just no picture either.

I've tried changing all the D3D options in the Display Properties, and nothing seems to change the situation.

If anyone has anything they think would help, or has had a similar problem, PLEASE let me know ;)

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Jektal
(jektal@sunlink.net)

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
[QOUTE] [Originally posted by Jektal: <b>“…I bought a Compaq Presario… before I started gradually replacing Compaq parts with my own… Original Compaq MB (And a few other insignifacant things, like CD-ROM, etc) ..I got a nice new case … and a TYAN Trinity 400 S1854 motherboard.. Well, almost. The computer still *thought* it was a Compaq, even though my CD-ROM drive is now the only Compaq part left.”]</b>

Don’t be surprised. It’s normal, Jektal. Probably among “other insignificant things” you forgot to mention your <b>HARDDRIVE </b> that has Flash ROM preinstalled by Compaq, similar to Initial Microcode Load.

If it is the matter, you could run DEBUG script to really wipe out you HDD from Flash ROM by Compaq.
You can check Compaq site, but I’m not sure, never believe in Compaq’s customer support.
I’d rather provide you with Step by step tutorial, link: Click <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q106/4/19.ASP" target="_new">HERE.</A>
Note, it does work with a Window95,98,98SE boot disk, if you can get one.

P.S.: One thing still bothering me: are you sure "...even though my CD-ROM drive is now only Compaq part left" ?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You could try Detonator Destroyer which removes old nVidia driver files making for a clean install of the latest Detonators possible. 12.41 and DirectX 8.0a worked well with my Visiontek Geforce 256. I don't know if Detonator Destroyer works with TNT drivers but it's worth a try. Also I have occasional found DirectX problems get "fixed" when I reinstall it after I have changed Detonators.

You can get Detonator Destroyer at <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" target="_new">http://www.guru3d.com</A>.

<b>Update:</b>

I just checked the Detonator Destroyer notes. Apparently it is only for Detonator 6.xx and higher which probably doesn't include your old TNT drivers.

I still think you might be having problems with old driver files and may need to find a way to clean them up.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/22/01 03:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hate to burst your bubble, but there were many problems noted with the TNT series and Detonator 3 drivers. You should really try to get some Detonator 2 drivers, and forget DX8 support.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

To answer a few of the questions brought up:

1. Yes I do still ahve the original Compaq HD, but its my secondary HD and is just used for holding mp3s and movies. My primary HD is a 20gig Western Digital.

2. I think I mentioned it originally, but I just recently formatted my computer, so there are no old TNT drivers laying around. Actually I don't think I've had any TNT drivers on my HD in over a year.

Hope that helps clear a few things up..

- Jektal

TRENDING THREADS