Virus preventing internet access

August 5, 2005 3:52:00 PM

I think that I have a virus which is stopping me from 1) Installing Norton
Internet Security 2005 properly, and 2) Stopping me from accessing all
anti-virus related sites, for example - www.symantec.com, www.grisoft.com,
www.pandasoftware.com, and when i tried to download AVG 6.0 from another site
which was unrelated to antivirus, I found that I could access the site but
the download failed.

I have run an antivirus scan on www.bitdefender.com, and this turned up a
few viruses which were deleted, yet the problem still remains.

Can anyone help me here?

Thankyou in advance.
August 5, 2005 4:51:05 PM

If the on-line virus scan identified the virus, write the name down, go to
sarc.com(Norton's site) and see if there is a removal tool that you can
download on another PC and copy to the infected machine. Run the removal tool
and then try installing the virus protection. I don't have to tell you you
have the cart before the horse. Next time buy the anti-virus first, before
you have the virus :-)

Keith

"EdenSeaview" wrote:

> I think that I have a virus which is stopping me from 1) Installing Norton
> Internet Security 2005 properly, and 2) Stopping me from accessing all
> anti-virus related sites, for example - www.symantec.com, www.grisoft.com,
> www.pandasoftware.com, and when i tried to download AVG 6.0 from another site
> which was unrelated to antivirus, I found that I could access the site but
> the download failed.
>
> I have run an antivirus scan on www.bitdefender.com, and this turned up a
> few viruses which were deleted, yet the problem still remains.
>
> Can anyone help me here?
>
> Thankyou in advance.
August 5, 2005 10:56:02 PM

Open up your HOSTS file in Notepad. %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts from
the run line. Look for any entries related to Antivirus sites, and delete
them. In fact, if you dont use a HOSTS file, just delete the whole thing.

Brian P.
A+, Network+, MCP

!