Virus preventing internet access

I think that I have a virus which is stopping me from 1) Installing Norton
Internet Security 2005 properly, and 2) Stopping me from accessing all
anti-virus related sites, for example - www.symantec.com, www.grisoft.com,
www.pandasoftware.com, and when i tried to download AVG 6.0 from another site
which was unrelated to antivirus, I found that I could access the site but
the download failed.

I have run an antivirus scan on www.bitdefender.com, and this turned up a
few viruses which were deleted, yet the problem still remains.

Can anyone help me here?

Thankyou in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about virus preventing internet access

    If the on-line virus scan identified the virus, write the name down, go to
    sarc.com(Norton's site) and see if there is a removal tool that you can
    download on another PC and copy to the infected machine. Run the removal tool
    and then try installing the virus protection. I don't have to tell you you
    have the cart before the horse. Next time buy the anti-virus first, before
    you have the virus :-)

    Keith

    "EdenSeaview" wrote:

    > I think that I have a virus which is stopping me from 1) Installing Norton
    > Internet Security 2005 properly, and 2) Stopping me from accessing all
    > anti-virus related sites, for example - www.symantec.com, www.grisoft.com,
    > www.pandasoftware.com, and when i tried to download AVG 6.0 from another site
    > which was unrelated to antivirus, I found that I could access the site but
    > the download failed.
    >
    > I have run an antivirus scan on www.bitdefender.com, and this turned up a
    > few viruses which were deleted, yet the problem still remains.
    >
    > Can anyone help me here?
    >
    > Thankyou in advance.

    Open up your HOSTS file in Notepad. %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts from
    the run line. Look for any entries related to Antivirus sites, and delete
    them. In fact, if you dont use a HOSTS file, just delete the whole thing.

    Brian P.
    A+, Network+, MCP

    "EdenSeaview" <EdenSeaview@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I think that I have a virus which is stopping me from 1) Installing Norton
    > Internet Security 2005 properly, and 2) Stopping me from accessing all
    > anti-virus related sites, for example - www.symantec.com, www.grisoft.com,
    > www.pandasoftware.com, and when i tried to download AVG 6.0 from another
    site
    > which was unrelated to antivirus, I found that I could access the site but
    > the download failed.
    >
    > I have run an antivirus scan on www.bitdefender.com, and this turned up a
    > few viruses which were deleted, yet the problem still remains.
    >
    > Can anyone help me here?
    >
    > Thankyou in advance.

Internet Access Virus Antivirus Windows XP