can XP Pro install in 4G CF???

Embedded

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005

Hello all,

I ghost my XP Pro image into 4G CF to replace old HDD, but when XP boot ,
it just hang up at light blue screen(the screen before login screen),after I
press Ctrl+Alt+Del, I can go to OS, but when I check page file, is says
WindowsXP has problem make page file, no matter how I custom file and then
reboot XP, it still hang up at that screen and I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del
to go to OS . ONLY AFTER I SET NO PAGE FILE, XP Pro can boot smoothly.

My question is the XP Pro hang up cause by small CF space(4G is to small to
run XP?) or CF can't have page file at all, can anybody help me? Thanks a
lot!!!

Hi,
I had thte same problem. I was tring to load win Xp and 2K on to a 4 gig
compact flash disk from SanDisk. I could get through the initial setup
screen but when the system would reboot to continue on with the install, the
system would hang. I heard that there is a utility out there that will make
the CF look like a fixed disk, but i have yet to find it. I heard that win
XP embedded might work in this instence but not sure. I think the whole
reason why it will not work is because there is no boot table on the CF if
you find a solution please let me know. thanks.

"embedded" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I ghost my XP Pro image into 4G CF to replace old HDD, but when XP boot ,
> it just hang up at light blue screen(the screen before login screen),after I
> press Ctrl+Alt+Del, I can go to OS, but when I check page file, is says
> WindowsXP has problem make page file, no matter how I custom file and then
> reboot XP, it still hang up at that screen and I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del
> to go to OS . ONLY AFTER I SET NO PAGE FILE, XP Pro can boot smoothly.
>
> My question is the XP Pro hang up cause by small CF space(4G is to small to
> run XP?) or CF can't have page file at all, can anybody help me? Thanks a
> lot!!!

Windows XP can only be installed on a conventional, internal
hard drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP