I'm buying a PC for my nephew. His father and mother aren't in a position to buy him a laptop. He is on a full ride to UIC where he is majoring in Computer Science. For his birthday I plan to buy him a new laptop that he can do his programming, watch movies, internet, and other school functions.
1. What is your budget?
I'm looking to spend between 500-1,000
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Maybe a mixture of both? If that is possible
5. How much battery life do you need?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Medium, I believe he plays World of Warcraft, Diablo and Call of Duty.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
He uses a lot of Visual Studio.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gb should be sufficient.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I was looking at Tigerdirect, NewEgg, Best Buy, Amazon.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I prefer at a minimum 4.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I think DVD Writer should be sufficient.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Lenovo, Asus, but really if you guys can recommend a good quality in my budget any brand would be great.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm not looking to buy him a gaming laptop but something that can perform well for all his projects and school work, but can handle a little gaming when he wants to play. If it has to be more for school then so be it.