ATI DVD Player Problem..

DarrenFrost

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001
Hello, I've got a Radeon VE which supposedly had hardware DVD decoding.. being impressed by my old All-in-Wonder 128's DVD playback I was hoping it would be the same on my new box. Unfortunately whenever I try to play a DVD with their player I get the 1. 2. 3. error which says my audio device is in use, display overlay isn't available, or not enough video memory. now my card has 32mb so i know it isn't 3 and 1 used to work so I'm sure its not.. one thing tho on my old card the DVD rom plugged into the video card.. on this one it doesn't. I think the overlay may be the problem because of this. my sound card is an Aureal SQ1500 (vortex) and I already moved cards around so the video and audio card both have their own IRQs.. DMA enabled for everything.. so anyone know the fix here or is it just impossible?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Download MMC7.1 from ATI as well as DVD4.1 player for the Radeon (updated player)
Download from Microsoft the VideoUpdate for DX8 which the newer MMC7.1 requires.
Uninstall your MMC and DVD player.
Install all downloaded programs with the VideoUpdate from MS first

Which driver are you using?

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed

DarrenFrost

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001
I am using the beta driver with the 5/23/2001 date on it. I tried using the standard but after installing directx 8a my system would change res upon start up but not display anything and it had the 1/17/01 date on it.. I will try downloading all of that stuff, but on the support page it said the newest dvd player was already on my CD -_- fyi my bios date on my card is 2/13/01 and i already installed that video capture update for dx8.. i have given both my sound card and my video card their own IRQs and have DMA turned on for DVD-rom and hard drive. strangely it works if I have windvd installed but since the version taht came with my mobo is a trial it freezes up after 5 minutes because that is that program's limit.. strange thing is this is the ATI dvd player i'm talking about
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DarrenFrost on 07/24/01 11:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Ok I know the problem, WinDVD has a tendency to not allow the ATI program to get access to use the Cinemaster DVD files. I've read about this before. You have to delete the WinDVD files from your system and registry because I do believe the uninstall for WinDVD doesn't work completely. PowerDVD will work together with the ATI player and not interfere except the quality sucks compared to the ATI player, but it does have nicer controls (big deal). WinDVD kinda takes over you machine. The new WinDVD player will use the Radeon features so that is also an option. I use WinDVD2000 with my MX400 which does work allright.

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed