All the Processes are TOO big, Help Needed

ran

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004

Hello.
After I installed service pack 2 on my xp pro Almost all my running
processes uses huge amont of memory, For example :
explorer.exe 26MB,
svchost.exe 17MB,
ccapp.exe (norton antivirus 2005) 17 MB...
I double checked for viruses, spyware, trojans ect..
This is not normal and it wasnt like that befor the service pack 2
installation.
Almost all of the processes are affacted.

I have a pentium 4 2.6 mhz, 768 MB of RAM.

Thanks.

johnf

SP2 creates a hidden backup - as do all 'fixes'.
Open Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/ check 'show hidden files
and folders'
Your OS drive should now show all the backups in blue in Pragram Files.
If your PC is performing ok, delete most of the blue ones - up to about last
week.

--

johnf

> Hello.
> After I installed service pack 2 on my xp pro Almost all my running
> processes uses huge amont of memory, For example :
> explorer.exe 26MB,
> svchost.exe 17MB,
> ccapp.exe (norton antivirus 2005) 17 MB...
> I double checked for viruses, spyware, trojans ect..
> This is not normal and it wasnt like that befor the service pack 2
> installation.
> Almost all of the processes are affacted.
>
> I have a pentium 4 2.6 mhz, 768 MB of RAM.
>
> Thanks.

ran

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004

Thanks for your answear johnf,
but im affraid you did not understand my problem.
My problem is with the PROCESSES that run in the backround, The ones that
are shown under PROCESSES in the TASK MANAGER, this has nothing to do with
the "blue" backup files created during the SP2 installation.
If someone has ANY clue what might be the cause of this problem PLEASE share.
Im running out of ideas.

Thanks

"johnf" wrote:

> SP2 creates a hidden backup - as do all 'fixes'.
> Open Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/ check 'show hidden files
> and folders'
> Your OS drive should now show all the backups in blue in Pragram Files.
> If your PC is performing ok, delete most of the blue ones - up to about last
> week.

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

Why do you think it's not *normal*? Do you have problems running programs?
Do you know any specific number a process should be using to be normal?
For example, the sum of 'mem usage' (which is quite misleading) under Task
Manager's Processes for all svchost.exe on the machine I'm using now is
44.2MB - is it not normal?

Did you read VM in XP: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm ?

"ran" <ran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> After I installed service pack 2 on my xp pro Almost all my running
> processes uses huge amont of memory, For example :
> explorer.exe 26MB,
> svchost.exe 17MB,
> ccapp.exe (norton antivirus 2005) 17 MB...
> I double checked for viruses, spyware, trojans ect..
> This is not normal and it wasnt like that befor the service pack 2
> installation.
> Almost all of the processes are affacted.
>
> I have a pentium 4 2.6 mhz, 768 MB of RAM.
>
> Thanks.

ran

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004

Well there is a Preformence loss, thats why Im here, asking about it.
What really gets me, is, befor the service pack 2 installation, all of those
processes used less (and by less I mean LESS) ram. Maybe this is normal SP2
side-effect? or maybe not.
could use some help.

"Mak" wrote:

> Why do you think it's not *normal*? Do you have problems running programs?
> Do you know any specific number a process should be using to be normal?
> For example, the sum of 'mem usage' (which is quite misleading) under Task
> Manager's Processes for all svchost.exe on the machine I'm using now is
> 44.2MB - is it not normal?
>
> Did you read VM in XP: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm ?

johnf

My typical figures -
Explorer = 29M
svchost.exe x 5 = 47M total
Don't use Norton & wouldn't.

I'm running a P4/2.8 - 768 RAM with stacks of photo programmes & games, so
this appears to be normal.
Did you REALLY check Task Manager before adding the SP2 and write the
figures down? If so, where is the difference?
--

johnf

> SP2 creates a hidden backup - as do all 'fixes'.
> Open Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/ check 'show hidden
> files and folders'
> Your OS drive should now show all the backups in blue in Pragram Files.
> If your PC is performing ok, delete most of the blue ones - up to about
> last week.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Hello.
>> After I installed service pack 2 on my xp pro Almost all my running
>> processes uses huge amont of memory, For example :
>> explorer.exe 26MB,
>> svchost.exe 17MB,
>> ccapp.exe (norton antivirus 2005) 17 MB...
>> I double checked for viruses, spyware, trojans ect..
>> This is not normal and it wasnt like that befor the service pack 2
>> installation.
>> Almost all of the processes are affacted.
>>
>> I have a pentium 4 2.6 mhz, 768 MB of RAM.
>>
>> Thanks.

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001