gilgamesh

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2004

I'm wondering if anybody can help me with this problem

Sometimes when booting I get to the screen that shows the Windows XP logo
and the moving blue bar but the boot just stops there while the blue bar
continues to move. I can leave it for 10 minutes or an hour but noting
changes.

I have to hit the reset button and then most times it boots but sometimes I
have to go into safe mode first and then reboot. A couple of times after
going into safe mode it still wouldn't reboot.

I've restored the system of a Norton Ghost backup I had and it works fine
for a couple of weeks and then the problem reappears,

I've loaded all of the MS patches and I'm running CA My-etrust AV and Zone
Alarm Pro Firewall.

Probably a failing hard drive.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Gilgamesh" <me@spam.me.not.com> wrote in message news:Os4XtSimFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I'm wondering if anybody can help me with this problem
>
> Sometimes when booting I get to the screen that shows the Windows XP logo and the moving blue bar but the boot just stops there
> while the blue bar continues to move. I can leave it for 10 minutes or an hour but noting changes.
>
> I have to hit the reset button and then most times it boots but sometimes I have to go into safe mode first and then reboot. A
> couple of times after going into safe mode it still wouldn't reboot.
>
> I've restored the system of a Norton Ghost backup I had and it works fine for a couple of weeks and then the problem reappears,
>
> I've loaded all of the MS patches and I'm running CA My-etrust AV and Zone Alarm Pro Firewall.

How does one test for this? I'm having the same problem, however I never
have a problem booting to safe mode or safe mode with net support. All seems
to work fine there?

Joe

"cache_r_joe" <cacherjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How does one test for this? I'm having the same problem, however I never
> have a problem booting to safe mode or safe mode with net support. All
> seems
> to work fine there?

Good question.
I've used Norton System Works to check the disk structure and free space and
all is fine.
I've used the SeaGate diagnostics to check my disks and all are fine.
What else can I do to see if a drive is failing.

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

No offense but how does removinp SP2 or doing a repair install check a hard
disk for possible failure

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "Gilgamesh" <me@spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>> "cache_r_joe" <cacherjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> How does one test for this? I'm having the same problem, however I
>>> never
>>> have a problem booting to safe mode or safe mode with net support. All
>>> seems
>>> to work fine there?
>>
>> Good question.
>> I've used Norton System Works to check the disk structure and free space
>> and all is fine.
>> I've used the SeaGate diagnostics to check my disks and all are fine.
>> What else can I do to see if a drive is failing.
>>

>>> Joe

How did you determine it was not something besides a failing hard drive?

--
Mark L. Ferguson

> How did you determine it was not something besides a failing hard drive?

I didn't. You suggested a failing drive as a probable cause to the problem
which prompted the question "How do we test to see if a drive is failing?".
Your response to the second question was to remove SP2 or do a repair
install, as I said I don't see how that checks the drive.

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "Gilgamesh" <me@spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>
>> No offense but how does removinp SP2 or doing a repair install check a
>> hard disk for possible failure

Then you should determine that.

--
Mark L. Ferguson