Spy Hunter - Who's got one running in their arcade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starting another Spy Hunter Project. I had one of these a few years
back. It's one of those games that you either love it or hate it. Not
much game play from people who are younger and not coordinated. Then
there are those shift happy people who don't get it. I'm actually
really good at the game and regret selling it. So, I started building a
new spy hunter back up again. Any love / hates for this machine?

John

I've got one. It's an upright. Needs a little TLC and a left trigger
button on the steering mech. The music is great. Also, the speakers
are positioned almost right above you so it's really easy to get
involved in the game.

I neither love it nor hate it - I like it. Unfortunately, I get tired
of the driving games real fast. But this game is different than most
driver games due to the unique steering and weapons options. It's even
realistic enough that the car won't start out in high gear.

Big Al
Bradenton, FL

Love it! Fully restored mine a month or two ago. One of my favorities.

Andy

I always liked it, of course my arcade when I was a kid had one, well, when
I was pretty young. I like to collect games that don't emulate well (720,
front line, etc). I think spyhunter is a good choice for this category
because of the steering and all the buttons you need. Its a fun game.

Andy

<grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Starting another Spy Hunter Project. I had one of these a few years
> back. It's one of those games that you either love it or hate it. Not
> much game play from people who are younger and not coordinated. Then
> there are those shift happy people who don't get it. I'm actually
> really good at the game and regret selling it. So, I started building a
> new spy hunter back up again. Any love / hates for this machine?
>
> John

One of my favorites. The music (Peter Gunn Theme) is definitely catchy
and I get a little wrapped around the axle at the switchblade cars. I
especially like transitioning to the boat almost instantaneously. I
have an upright that I need to finish but it is currently stuck behind a
dead Space Invaders Upright and a Tempest project and a Defender.

Hope to get it up and running again soon. It is on my list of games to
"redo" this fall when it cools down. I'd really love to find a clean
cockpit but I don't have the room for it. The sideart on my is covered
with black paint that I will attempt to strip and see what shows up.

Pat D.

grus_jc@yahoo.com wrote:
> Starting another Spy Hunter Project. I had one of these a few years
> back. It's one of those games that you either love it or hate it. Not
> much game play from people who are younger and not coordinated. Then
> there are those shift happy people who don't get it. I'm actually
> really good at the game and regret selling it. So, I started building a
> new spy hunter back up again. Any love / hates for this machine?
>
> John

>Starting another Spy Hunter Project. I had one of these a few years
>back. It's one of those games that you either love it or hate it. Not
>much game play from people who are younger and not coordinated. Then
>there are those shift happy people who don't get it. I'm actually
>really good at the game and regret selling it. So, I started building a
>new spy hunter back up again. Any love / hates for this machine?
>John

I think it's a cool game. I especially like the controls & music. As
someone mentioned, it's a difficult game to emulate and is a good
choice for a gameroom.

I picked up the cockpit version as a project recently from a bulk buy.
I always liked this version a lot better because not only does it look
a lot cooler (large sit down cabinet with lots of stuff lit up). but
you can "feel" the music & sound effects coming from the speakers in
the seat. I'm wondering if it has a subwoofer, certainly sounds like
it.

Any how i've put mine up for trade or possible sale due to space
issues in my gameroom.

I've re-listed my post below. Game is in Rhode Island.

I'm interested in trading my Spy Hunter cockpit project for a
hopefully working Asteroids upright. We'll see what offers are made.
I'd also consider Space Duel, Gravitar or Black Widow.
Let me know what you have.

The game is located in RI.

If your interested, follow up with an e-mail address and i'll get in
touch with you. I'll be away from Aug 10th - 20th.

Might consider selling it if there aren't any good trades or I may
keep it.

Spy Hunter is complete, needs some work but does have signs of life.

The "cockpit" version of Spy Hunter is very cool, and will surely be a
hit in your gameroom. The upright version is not nearly as
impressive.

It's a very cool looking machine, with beautiful lit backglasses (kind
of like Environmental Discs of Tron), neat controls, a sit down
driving game, etc. They look really great all lit up. I'd imagine it
was a very expensive game when it came out, much more so than an
Asteroids upright i'm looking to trade it for.

If you'd like to see & try one, go to Fun Spot in NH.

Condition:

The game looks all original with the painted stripes on the cabinet,
side art, etc. Many of the ones i've seen had the sides painted
black.

I'll provide photos for any serious offers, but won't take them until
i'm back.

When I turned the game on before I brought it home, the game did turn
on. It rode a half hour to my house. The monitor glass was so dirty
it was hard to tell what was going on, but I could see the car was
moving and the controls worked well. Didn't try the upper buttons.
I only played it for 30 seconds so it was by no means well tested. I
could hear the sound fine. That's another neat thing about this
verson of the game. The speakers are in the seat, and you "feel" the
sound.

I cleaned up the exterior of the game when I brought it home. The
inside is still dirty but may be partly cleaned prior to a trade. I
did not get a picture. I could still hear the sound, and the same
things that were lit up before were still lite up. No measures have
been made to find out why there wasn't a picture. I think I noticed a
loose wire near the monitor when I opened the cabinet. It's a
standard run of the mill G07 monitor, which really isn't of great
value for the project should it need to be replaced. Might be
something loose. It's not in my gameroom presently, could even been
a power issue with the old basement but I doubt it. Again, it's
being sold as a non-working project.

The bottom edges of the cabinet need attention, common for games of
this vintage. I was thinking about using some bondo and repairing
them myself, then painting the edges black which should still match
the original art. Shouldn't be a big deal.

I've been touching up the stripes on the side, but the actual side art
images in the middle are faded. Fortunately reproductions for these
graphics sell for only $50. I'm not even sure if you get get repros
for the striped part of the artwork on machines that were painted
black, but it's fine here.

The control panel is in nice shape. The paint on the yoke is flaking,
and needs to be painted. This is common for these machines. I
started striping it. The rubber part of the yoke looks good.

Marquee looks good. Top backglass looks good, but the light is out.
Large backglass looks good, but not perfect. The light is out there
too.

I'm not expecting a museum condition cabinet for the Asteroids (would
be nice of course). The most important concern is i'd like a bright
& sharp monitor. Some burn-in is even ok. I've been watching both
machines, and i'm typically finding non working Spy Hunter cockpits
going for similar prices to working Asteroids machines. As mentioned,
it's a larger machine, and was probably a more expensive game, so
we're not comparing apples to apples. But i'd rather have an
Asteroids upright.

Feel free to ask any questions or if you'd like to know more about it.