whenever I boot up my desktop (PIII 450MHz 256), as soon as the desktop
appears the system returns to hibernation. I have tried safe mode, but there
is no option there to turn off hibernation (not designed to operate in safe
mode apparently).

This began, not after adding any software, but after deleting my personal
files and browser mouse, and resetting the desktop, so that someone else
could use the unit. I had no internet access at that time. It's been
suggested I reboot from the installation disk; I have had no success at that,
even after recnfiguring BIOS to boot the CD-ROM first. ???? I'm willing to
completely remove XP and re-install it, but how?

--thank ya very much...

Failure to boot to the setup CD from the BIOS is not a Windows problem. I would restore defaults in the BIOS setup, and try the CD
boot again.
bios setup access keys. Go to: http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
--
Mark L. Ferguson