4202 in 3dMark2000 with PIII 1gig and Ultra

G

This is, I think a very low score. On this page
<A HREF="http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/2804/9/" target="_new">http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/2804/9/</A> they have the ultra at 6800 with 1024x768x32bit. What is up? Everything is at default, and I don't think I am doing anything to slow it down. But this makes my card look like a regular Geforce 2 MX or something, damn.
I rip it up in other games, like counterstrike, where my counter rarely, rarely, dips below 99, it is usually stuck there, even through fog.
What do you guys think?
deez

G

Any tips or suggestions? Is it because I have not disabled vsync in D3D, which is what 3dMark uses? I use to have powerstrip which allowed me to do this, but my demo time ran out, and it won't let me anymore. Does anyone know of a way to disable vsync in D3D other than powerstrip? Advanced Display properties doesn't have the option. Thanks for any help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
actually, there are lots of settings that help, including memory, video, and a bunch of other settings in BIOS. Read yesterdays story in BIOS tweaking. All I've done to my card it overclock it, with no additional mods to the settings.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

You think bios settings will change my score that much? I mean, stock, I should be up higher right? People are getting like 8000 tweaked, I am at half. This sucks, I might be in for a clean install. Oh yeah, I am running Win2k, you think that is the culprit?
deez

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
98SE can be worth 10% to 20% over 2k in that benchmark, depending on how the OS is set up. You should be getting around 7000 at stock speeds. BTW do you have the 1000E or the 1000EB, and what chipset/motherboard?

G

UPDATE: I just installed Asus mobo drivers (don't know what they do) and my score increased to 5809, a little closer to stock now.

I don't know if I have 1000E, or EB, how can you tell? It runs at PC133 if that has anything to do with it, I just purchased it a month ago, if that helps any.

Is 5809 a little more in line? Since I am using Win2k, and you say 10-20% less with it, is this what I can expect? Or is your 7k score stock taking into account Win2k already.

MY mobo is Asus CULS2-C.

Your help really is appreciated Crashman, thanks. BTW, what are you doing up this late:)
deez

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
With a GTS at 220/380 and a 933, on a CUSL2, I get 7400. Your Ultra should be 220/400 I think, and with a better CPU should give you around 8000 stock. Go into BIOS and make sure your running 4x, Cas2, 133/133/33. Any further information can be found in Tom's BIOS guide released yesterday. With Win2k you should still see over 7000. Also make sure DMA is enabled for all your drives.

G

I don't know, the link I posted earlier had his Ultra right under 7000, around 6800. And I am sure he is in Win98SE. Since I am in Win2k, you think I should be happy to be close? I am quoting all this in 32bit by the way, if that makes a difference.

How do you make sure DMA is enabled? I tried to do it, but couldn't find the setting. Is it in Bios?
deez

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by deeznuts on 07/26/01 05:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not sure for 2000, but for older versions of NT and for Win98 you need to actually search the CD for the BusMastr file and install that program. Also make sure you have the INF update installed, and SP2