AGP 4x Please

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
According to Powerstrip3beta my Elsa Geforce2 GTS 32meg is only capable of running AGP 1x and 2x and my Asus P3V4X Motherboard is also capable of only 1x and 2x. Both are rated for 4x AGP. I've loaded the latest VIA 4in1 drivers (4.28) TWICE and I'm running the 4.13.01.1240 version of the Display driver. The Motherboard is set to 4x and Fast Writes in the Bios. I can't figure out what the problem is. Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this? I'm only using PC100 memory but that shouldn't make a difference should it?
Anyway if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Here's what Powerstrip is telling me.

Diagnostic report - generated on 7/26/01
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerStrip build - 182
Windows build - v.4.10.67766222.1
DirectX build - v.4.08.00.0400
OpenGL renderer - (n/a)

System board
CPU speed - 654 MHz
Type - VIA VT694X-P3V4X-00
BIOS - Award Bios, 06/12/2000
AGP aperture - 32 MB
AGP transfer mechanism - DMA
AGP non-local memory - 28.7 MB
AGP driving value - ECh (N-ctrl=14, P-ctrl=12)
AGP revision - 2.00
AGP transfer rates supported - 1x, 2x
Current AGP transfer rate - 2x
Sideband addressing - hardware support, but currently disabled
Fast write protocol - Enabled
AGP texturing - Enabled

Graphics card #1
Identity - ELSA GLADIAC GeForce2 GTS
Memory clock - 332.89 MHz
Engine clock - 199.66 MHz
IRQ - 11, shared
AGP revision - 2.00
AGP transfer rates supported - 1x, 2x
Current AGP transfer rate - 2x
Sideband addressing - (n/a)
Display driver - nvdisp.drv, v.4.13.01.1240
DirectX driver - nvdd32.dll, v.4.13.01.1240
Attached monitor - MAG DX-700T (MAG Technology Co., Ltd.)
Monitor caps (1) - 1280x1024, 70kHz, 120Hz

Device enumeration
ELSA GLADIAC GeForce2 GTS (015010DEh) - using IRQ11
AsusTek CPU-to-PCI/AGP bridge (06911106h)
VIA PCI-to-PCI/AGP bridge (85981106h)
AsusTek PCI-to-ISA bridge (05961106h)
VIA IDE controller (05711106h)
VIA Universal serial bus (USB) (30381106h) - using IRQ10
VIA CPU-to-PCI/AGP bridge (30501106h)
Netgear Ethernet controller (0020100Bh) - using IRQ10
Sigma Designs Multimedia device (83001105h) - using IRQ11
Creative Labs Audio device (00021102h) - using IRQ10
Creative Labs Input controller (70021102h)

G

i have the same motherboard and GPU, and had the same problem. what worked for me was to install the 4 in 1's, then to install the via agp drivers seperately. worked for me! good luck!

ignore everything i say

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
Tried that. Also tried reinstalling my Video Drivers. Still reporting 2x. This is really starting to drive me nuts. The worst part is untill I loaded Powerstrip I assumed everything was running at 4x couldn't figure out why I was getting such poor performance. Anybody else got any ideas? Please Help

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
Look What I Just Found on the ASUS Website

Question:
The Nvidia GeFore 2 VGA card can¡¦t work in AGP4X in P3V4X or K7V M/B?

Answer:
This is the compatibility issue between nVidia GeForce GT2 chipset and VIA's chipset. nVidia and us found that this combination is very unstable while running 3D programs, and if we set the AGP to 2X, then the instability will dismissed. So, whenever the driver of GeForce2 detect the VIA's chipset on motherboard, the AGP mode will down to 2X automatically. If you try Intel's 820, then Nvidia GeFore2 VGA card can run AGP4X without any problem. Matrox G400 and Creative GeForcePro are not the card based on GrForce2, so there will no this problem.

Up to now, as far as We know, there is no GeForce2 card can run stably at AGP4X on VIA's chipset. NVidia and VIA is trying to solve this issue.

Aparently no one has bothered to solve this little problem because my GeForce2 is still knocking me down to 2x. It also seems that the ASUS people don't have a very good grasp of the english language. Anyway, Now I have to pop over to the nvidia website and see if they've found any work around for this problem since I don't have the money to get a new Mobo right now.....STUPID TECHNOLOGY....

G

i've got a geforce 256 sdr made by Forsa (a compnay that has no website, and no info aboot it can be found on the net!!!!!!!!!!!) and a gigabyte mobo. My system runs PERFECTLY under 4x and fastwrites enabled, never had a problem. So wut they say on the Asus website is [-peep-], they just make a crappy mobo and blame it on VIA's chipset. Anyway, doownlooad Geforce Tweak UTL at www.guru3d.com and "Enable VIA 4X".

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read his post agian moron-it says that the GeForce 2 (that's TWO) Roman Numeral II, will not run at 4x properly. In fact, it mentions OTHER cards that are GeForce 256's that WILL run 4x, and says that this is specifically a problemn with the Geforce2 only! Take literacy training!

A couple quotes for you "as far as We know, there is no GeForce2 card can run stably at AGP4X on VIA's chipset", and concerning other cards such as the Creative Geforce 256 card, "not ... based on GeForce2, so there will not be this problem"

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

Maybe U should read the post again u stupid piece of [-peep-] mother [-peep-] [-peep-]! How the [-peep-] dare u call me a moron?! Who the [-peep-] are you? I mean u live in Michigan, a state that is infested with farm-accent [-peep-] who suck [-peep-] after all the other states. And wow! u know roman numerals! An igotistic piece of [-peep-] nationalistic american pig knows roman numerals! maybe u also know how to measure in centimeters? Go [-peep-] urself and get a life already u stupid [-peep-].

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, your learning to read! You actually understood what I said! Congratulations!
BTW, I never said he was right, only that you did not understand what he was saying. I'm from Michigan, the second most technologically advanced state in the country, I don't need to read things twice.
Let me guess, your from Texas? Or Alababma?
Yes, "I read centimeters", I like measuring things in increments of 10. I don't need a calculator that way, I can use my fingers! You probably live on a farm and still measure things in hands, am I getting close?
BTW, 2 is also 10 in Bianary. When you can figure out how 2=10, get back to me.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i have a leadtek winfast geforce 2 pro and a via chipset (a7v133)
and i used to get some hangs playing UT.
the 4in1's and the agp thinggy has fixed it.

then again... my rig is more recent than yours (probably)

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

G

[-peep-]!. Having technologicly advanced factories that process [-peep-] from other states does not make Michigan anything, u [-peep-] piece of [-peep-]. And yes, I can read, unlike urslef, who grew up in a farm with this annoying shitty accent. I was surprised that u can count using ur fingers u [-peep-], it's certainly advanced for a dumbass fat american pig such as yourlef. Again, go [-peep-] urslef........and think twice (alright....just think once........no no...alright....just do ur best) before flamming other ppl for no reason u [-peep-] [-peep-].

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Accent "aye"? Most of the people I know have no "regional" accent, and because I'm in college, I know people from all over the U.S. I think those "accents" are limmited to people from certain specific locals, and do not necessarily cover a whole state. In fact, Michigan also exports a lot of talent to Holywood. So most of the people I know sound like most of the people I see on TV. As for Canadians, Hey, thanks for selling us your natural resources, aye! Where does your technology come from? Where do you get your money?
Hey, I'm glad you finally got around to rereading that post, now here's some acid rain for you, aye!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, when VIA fixed their 4-in-1's, most companies fixed their BIOS to reenable 4x. But it's so fun picking on this guy! Besides, he did misread the post that started all this!

G

Fun picking on this guy? It sounds to me, from wut I read, that you are on the defencive, while I am on the offencive. U are trying to protect ur piece of [-peep-] state of Michigan, trying to prove to me that it is better than [-peep-]. Well, it's not. I am the one who is having fun, cuz I dont care when people [-peep-] with me or something that is dear to moi. So there...heh. As for me not understanding the post: [-peep-] you! It's no reason that u should be called a moron for. So there, again......it's late..........'tis time to [-peep-] yourslef...........

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Really, it's been fun, but all these illegible post are getting quite tiresome, if you'd clean up your language they might be worthwhile. I was having fun, but it's getting boring now, find something intelligent to say, I'm bored.

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was told that nVidia disabled 4x agp at the video driver level for some of these VIA chipsets. I think there might be a earlier driver detonator that may have support for 4X agp but I'm not sure which one.

=
<font color=green><i>IRQ 12 reserved for THG.</i></font color=green>

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe time for you two to lay off and apologise to each other.
Crash, you've always been a great poster on these forums. It looks like (to me anyway) he miss read the post. It's easy to miss the "2" in GeForce 2 sometimes, especially if someone is excited about possibly being able to help someone else.
I am by no means taking sides (besides, why would either of you care what I think?), but maybe the "moron" part was a bit much.
Come on fellas, we've all misread/misunderstood or just plain asked silly questions before. If every time someone belittled us for doing so, we'd spend our entire lives eating (or dishing) "insult and sarcasm" pie.
I know I've quickly shifted my mouth into second gear with my brain still stuck in first many times in the past. I double clutch now, although I do grind 'em once in a while :)

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think I get the point of what he was saying now, [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-], I must have been a little hard headed not to understand that, especially the part about [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-], and the [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] part as well. In fact I'll go so far as to say my original use of the word moron was not called for, but I have to thank the guy for justifying it for me in his later post!

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
Well, now that you've wandered my thread completely off topic.

I managed to find an answer. And even though he was wrong about the version of GeForce Nigor did infact point me in the right direction. I found more information and it turns out that someone has created a nifty little registry tweak that allows you to set your GeForce2 to 4x. I didn't notice any problems but I only started one of my games and ran it for about five minutes. I'll let you know if there is more trouble. Anyway, I found the answers I needed at http://geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi#hw:gef:troub:mbc:viaagp1x
There was a lot of data about all GeForce cards here so if you're haveing a problem I suggest you look it up. It is an excelent reference.

It also lead me to a tweak utility for my chipset WPCREDIT. Which I used to tweaked my via chipset and gained 60 points on my 3DMark2001 Score. Links to the utility and some more information about it are available through the above link as well. Thanks everybody for trying to help out.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Did anyone else notice Nigor's name kind of sounds like a racial slur....is it nigor, just asking not attackin d00d.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

Just woke up this morning, and wut do I see? An apology! rather sarcastic one, but it's good enough. So umm, I am [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] sorry I flammed to much.......[-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-]. There........hehe.
P.S. My nick does sound kinda racist, doesn't it? That's the point, it makes people wonder.........it makes people think. In a way, I am helping all the people out there to mentaly evolve. No no, dont thank me...........
But I must mention the emphasis is on the "kinda" part.....

G

<b>Well, now that you've wandered my thread completely off topic.

I managed to find an answer. And even though he was wrong about the version of GeForce Nigor did infact point me in the right direction. I found more information and it turns out that someone has created a nifty little registry tweak that allows you to set your GeForce2 to 4x. I didn't notice any problems but I only started one of my games and ran it for about five minutes. I'll let you know if there is more trouble. Anyway, I found the answers I needed at http://geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi#hw:gef:troub:mbc:viaagp1x
There was a lot of data about all GeForce cards here so if you're haveing a problem I suggest you look it up. It is an excelent reference.

It also lead me to a tweak utility for my chipset WPCREDIT. Which I used to tweaked my via chipset and gained 60 points on my 3DMark2001 Score. Links to the utility and some more information about it are available through the above link as well. Thanks everybody for trying to help out.</b>

The same registry tweak is found in Geforce Tweak Utility, as I posted earlier.....hehe.....I was right, well, almost right.......:)