Problems with Geforce2 MX 400 and Intel 440BX

G

Yesterday I bought the Leadtek Geforce 2 SH Max with the Geforce2MX 400 processor. I have a mobo from Soyo with the 440BX chipset and an Intel PII 350 Mhz. I thought I won't have problems. I reinstalled my OSs (Win 98 and W2000), and when I install the card drivers that came in the CD and restart the OS Windows doesn't starts. I have to launch it in Safe Mode!! This happens in W2000 and in W98.

If I use the VGA Standard drivers the SOs work. It seems to be a problem with drivers.

Any advice or someone who have had a similar problem?

Thanks

G

make sure you first get all the updates and patches for your OS from the microsoft website (including direct x) BEFORE you load the drivers. It is possible your AGP port cant supply enough juice to the new card to operate, but try the software solutions before looking to bad hardware.....good luck

ignore everything i say

G

I'm already using the latest drivers from NVIDIA. I also tried the last one from Leadtek. I have my latest mobo BIOS and the last graphic card BIOS!!!!

G

Maybe the AGP port? I don't know. Ive been surfing the web and I found PCs with a Geforce2MX card and a 440BX chipset in the mobo without any problem ...!!!

G

well, i hope its not the port, but some earlier 440bx boards used agp version 1 which had a lower power level than the later released agp version 2. i hope thats not it, but you could check with your mobo manufacturer....

i guess you have all the OS updates, and the chipset updates? direct x?

ignore everything i say

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try booting Windows 98 again. When Windows fails to boot just reboot but this time choose the Command Prompt instead of Safe Mode. At the C:\ prompt type Attrib -h -s bootlog.txt. Afterwards type Edit bootlog.txt. Look at the file. It should tell you where Windows is failing. You'll see which drivers, VxD's, etc are successfully loading and you should see which file fails. This may give you a clue as to what needs fixing.