Norton

August 6, 2005 8:52:04 AM

i'm running Norton internet security 2004 on XP, and i was working on
something when an alert came up about something tryin to access the internet,
i only saw half of the program tryin to get access: Microsoft system 32
generic. thats all i saw before i clicked block. When i did that and
restarted it seems norton has gone abit crazy and blocked everything from
accessing the internet. The only way i can connect is to disable norton. I've
looked in the block list and everthing looks ok, but i can't connect to msn,
IE etc etc...any help would be appreciated, thanks

More about : norton

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:44:29 PM

It was probably the Generic Host processor.......safe to allow. Do a Google
search for more info. Re: the Norton IS, IMHO it is some of the worst
bloatware on the market. The AV portion alone is over 70 Meg....without
the defs!! Just for comparison, Avast! and AVG (free) do a fine job and
they are only about 7 Meg...with defs! Many folks use and like the Norton
stuff, personally, I don't like it. It uses the Registry to store virus
info, so, if you do a System Restore, you will be reinstalling Norton if you
have made any updates since the restore point. Sorry I can't help with the
connection issue, I would suggest using the Symantec FAQ and see if you can
find the answer. Symantec's support is in Pakistan (or some place like
that, now), so, it is of little help..........you'll get some "rubber stamp"
answer back that may or may not refer to your issue.
Consider using some seperate proggies that will do the same thing as the
Norton IS suite......Zone Alarm, Tiny, etc. firewall, cookie handlers, any
of the better AV's, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, etc. I think you
and your machine would be a lot happier.
Heirloom, old and just my
opinion.....I could be wrong

> i'm running Norton internet security 2004 on XP, and i was working on
> something when an alert came up about something tryin to access the
> internet,
> i only saw half of the program tryin to get access: Microsoft system 32
> generic. thats all i saw before i clicked block. When i did that and
> restarted it seems norton has gone abit crazy and blocked everything from
> accessing the internet. The only way i can connect is to disable norton.
> I've
> looked in the block list and everthing looks ok, but i can't connect to
> msn,
> IE etc etc...any help would be appreciated, thanks
August 7, 2005 3:59:45 AM

Agreed. Find a reliable aternative.

--

johnf

> It was probably the Generic Host processor.......safe to allow. Do a
> Google search for more info. Re: the Norton IS, IMHO it is some of
> the worst bloatware on the market. The AV portion alone is over 70
> Meg....without the defs!! Just for comparison, Avast! and AVG (free)
> do a fine job and they are only about 7 Meg...with defs! Many folks
> use and like the Norton stuff, personally, I don't like it. It uses
> the Registry to store virus info, so, if you do a System Restore, you
> will be reinstalling Norton if you have made any updates since the
> restore point. Sorry I can't help with the connection issue, I would
> suggest using the Symantec FAQ and see if you can find the answer.
> Symantec's support is in Pakistan (or some place like that, now), so,
> it is of little help..........you'll get some "rubber stamp" answer
> back that may or may not refer to your issue. Consider using some seperate
> proggies that will do the same thing as the
> Norton IS suite......Zone Alarm, Tiny, etc. firewall, cookie handlers, any
> of the better AV's, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, etc. I
> think you and your machine would be a lot happier.
> Heirloom, old and just my
> opinion.....I could be wrong
>

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> i'm running Norton internet security 2004 on XP, and i was working on
>> something when an alert came up about something tryin to access the
>> internet,
>> i only saw half of the program tryin to get access: Microsoft system 32
>> generic. thats all i saw before i clicked block. When i did that and
>> restarted it seems norton has gone abit crazy and blocked everything
>> from accessing the internet. The only way i can connect is to disable
>> norton. I've
>> looked in the block list and everthing looks ok, but i can't connect to
>> msn,
>> IE etc etc...any help would be appreciated, thanks
August 11, 2005 2:37:34 AM

Try unblocking the program you blocked:

NIS2004 > Personal Firewall > Configure > Programs > highlight the suspect >
Remove

HTH

!