I have a problem with CHKDSK running every time I reboot my computer. The
program runs and finds the following in stage 1:

Deleting Corrupt File Record segment 9580.

I get this smae messge every time I reboot so I figure the drive must be
going so I
"Ghost" the drive onto a brand new HD and I still get the same message. I
have changed the cable to a new one with the same error.

I have tried to change the registry to stop the autocheck b8ut then the
Defrag indicates that there is a CHKDSK scheduled.

I have repaired Windows, Run a disk scanning utility (Found No Errors)

This Machine if running WINXP Home, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive 1100Mhz AMD
CPU.

Does anyone have any Ideas?

Thank you

To disable chk disk try kb158675 For the hd issue,try recovery,type:CHKDSK
C: /R

"Not Super User" wrote:

> I have a problem with CHKDSK running every time I reboot my computer. The
> program runs and finds the following in stage 1:
>
> Deleting Corrupt File Record segment 9580.
>
> I get this smae messge every time I reboot so I figure the drive must be
> going so I
> "Ghost" the drive onto a brand new HD and I still get the same message. I
> have changed the cable to a new one with the same error.
>
> I have tried to change the registry to stop the autocheck b8ut then the
> Defrag indicates that there is a CHKDSK scheduled.
>
> I have repaired Windows, Run a disk scanning utility (Found No Errors)
>
> This Machine if running WINXP Home, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive 1100Mhz AMD
> CPU.
>
> Does anyone have any Ideas?
>
> Thank you

Details on running CHKDSK in Recovery Console using Windows XP CD.

Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Boot from the CD. Select the first option "R" Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
Login to XP with administrator account.

Then run CHKDSK /P from the command line. (In Recovery console /P replaces /F ).

Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors.
Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
CHKDSK /P :X where X is letter for disk drive

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID Q314058
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/307654

To exit the Recovery Console, type EXIT.

HTH

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Not Super User" wrote

>I have a problem with CHKDSK running every time I reboot my computer. The
> program runs and finds the following in stage 1:
>
> Deleting Corrupt File Record segment 9580.
>
> I get this smae messge every time I reboot so I figure the drive must be
> going so I
> "Ghost" the drive onto a brand new HD and I still get the same message. I
> have changed the cable to a new one with the same error.
>
> I have tried to change the registry to stop the autocheck b8ut then the
> Defrag indicates that there is a CHKDSK scheduled.
>
> I have repaired Windows, Run a disk scanning utility (Found No Errors)
>
> This Machine if running WINXP Home, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive 1100Mhz AMD
> CPU.
>
> Does anyone have any Ideas?
>
> Thank you

Thank you all for your input however, I have tried the recovery console route
several times and I am getting a number of unrecoverable errors. Yet when I
check the drivev for errors with Microscope I get no errors.

I can leave the drive as is with the Autocheck disabled but I fear that I
may leave the drive and data vunerable.

Thanks again
Pat

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Details on running CHKDSK in Recovery Console using Windows XP CD.
>
> Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Boot from the CD. Select the first option "R" Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
> Login to XP with administrator account.
>
> Then run CHKDSK /P from the command line. (In Recovery console /P replaces /F ).
>
> Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors.
> Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
> CHKDSK /P :X where X is letter for disk drive
>
> References for Recovery Console:
> Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID Q314058
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
>
> HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/307654
>
> To exit the Recovery Console, type EXIT.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> "Not Super User" wrote
>
> >I have a problem with CHKDSK running every time I reboot my computer. The
> > program runs and finds the following in stage 1:
> >
> > Deleting Corrupt File Record segment 9580.
> >
> > I get this smae messge every time I reboot so I figure the drive must be
> > going so I
> > "Ghost" the drive onto a brand new HD and I still get the same message. I
> > have changed the cable to a new one with the same error.
> >
> > I have tried to change the registry to stop the autocheck b8ut then the
> > Defrag indicates that there is a CHKDSK scheduled.
> >
> > I have repaired Windows, Run a disk scanning utility (Found No Errors)
> >
> > This Machine if running WINXP Home, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive 1100Mhz AMD
> > CPU.
> >
> > Does anyone have any Ideas?
> >
> > Thank you

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I have a problem with CHKDSK running every time I reboot my
> computer. The
> program runs and finds the following in stage 1:
>
> Deleting Corrupt File Record segment 9580.
>
> I get this smae messge every time I reboot so I figure the
> drive must be
> going so I
> "Ghost" the drive onto a brand new HD and I still get the same
> message. I
> have changed the cable to a new one with the same error.
>
> I have tried to change the registry to stop the autocheck b8ut
> then the
> Defrag indicates that there is a CHKDSK scheduled.
>
> I have repaired Windows, Run a disk scanning utility (Found No
> Errors)
>
> This Machine if running WINXP Home, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard
> Drive 1100Mhz AMD
> CPU.
>
> Does anyone have any Ideas?
>
> Thank you

It sounds like a clean install of XP will be nessasery, but it’s
only an error, and windows runs "happiliy" inof with the error, so
carnt you put up with it?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Deleting-Corrupt-File-ftopict405355.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1343712