My older computer with WIN98SE has proper sizing of desktop, screens, option
popups etc.

I have a new XP computer, I use one monitor and keyboard for both with a KVM
switch.

I have a problem sizing things in XP. 1024x768 works fine for everything on
the 98 machine.

On the XP machine, however, the desktop looks like 800x600, big stuff. It's
set to 1024x768 like this. Most things work ok.
But to get a "normal looking" desktop screen I have to use 1280x1084. But
some option popups for programs and Windows have text that is cut off even
then. They used to work ok. I can get Internet explorer pages with text to
fit ok, but the website pages, like a store page, is small, about the left
half of the screen.

The sizes of things are very inconsistant and annoying.

The computers built in Intel graphics did this. The new nVidea based
graphics card (FX5500) does it too. The old 98 machine also has a nVidea
card.

Where are adjustments for all these things?????

Help!

Fred

Fred,

First, make sure your video card has an XP driver & that it's the latest released driver from manufacturer.

Following is likely very obvious to you --- review screen resolution settings.
To change your screen resolution -- use Windows key+Break keys to get Control Panel.
Then Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

On the Settings tab, recheck Screen resolution.
A higher screen resolution reduces the size of items on your screen and increases the relative space on your desktop.

Also, on display properties, click the Advanced button. Review the DPI setting for the Display. Usual setting is for 96 DPI.

If this motherboard has an onboard video AND you added an add-on video card, I believe you need to disable the mobo onboard video.
See manufacturer's manual.

For Internet Explorer: Stretch the window to fit your need. If it is not Maximized, use the mouse pointer at right side, and drag it to the right to where it is larger.
Another IE tweak: Right-click a blank area of the IE toolbar, select Customize. You can set the toolbar icon size from Large to small.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Fred B." wrote