PCI express technology and notebooks

Dean

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Hi! anyone know when pci express technology will be introduced into the notebooks? (if it's in the next 4 months or so I can wait) ..and will they significantly lower power consumption, increase bandwidth transfer speeds, and allow us to upgrade our video cards?

Thanks,

Dean.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Not soon... It wouldn't really make sense: The only things notebooks use their [Mini-]PCI slots for, are things like wi-fi network cards etc. (Hardly bandwidth hogs!), so there isn't really anything that would take advantage of PCI-Express. A lot of notebooks have upgradable graphics anyway (since 2000, courtesy of Dell), and they use a proprietary connector anyway, using the normal PCI/AGP bus. At the moment it wouldn't make a tangible difference to equip notebooks with the technology, so I doubt it will be within the next 4 months or even the next year.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

Dean

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
So.. if bought the XPS I would be able to upgrade continually over the next 3 years or so? I thought that when the PCI-express came out we would not be able to upgrade the agp cards anymore? ..and if I waited for the pci-e, do you think that the video cards will be upgradable? (I'm planning on buying an expensive notebook and would like to know if the graphics card will upgradable for the next 3 years or so..)

Please clarify.

thanks

Dean.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dean on 04/22/04 11:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Well, yes, because it isn't actually using an AGP slot, it is using its own little connector that is determined by Dell, that makes use of the AGP technology. Anyway, even now there are not even graphics cards in the desktop environment that can make use of PCI-E, at the moment, AGP is enough (more than enough in a lot of cases). Besides I think it will take about that long for PCI-E to move to notebooks.

To answer your question, yes you'll be able to upgrade as long as Dell continue putting out cards that will fit your notebook (i.e. quite a while) - you have to understand that it is not the same as a graphics card in a desktop computer. the actual Circuit board is made up of 8 sides and a curve, onto which the fan is built - it looks like the squiggle block from tetris - and connects to the motherboard at 3 different places electronically, and 4 places with screws; so you can't just go to the shops and buy a new graphics module, you will have to order one from Dell if and when they release a new model. (e.g. I could upgrade my D800 notebook from a GeForce 4 Go 4200, to a GeForceFX 5650 / MR 9600 Turbo / MR9700 because they are all the same form factor, and have been released subsequent to my notebook).

PCI-E will only begin to benefit us sometime into the future, and quite some time after that, only, will it begin to affect the notebook arena. At the moment, all it is, is a marketing slogan, and hype.

Regards,

RaPTuRe

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The slots for Notebooks and Pcs are differnt. It like my Notebook it can run 8x agp port. But the card has to be made for a Laptop. You can t shove a pc agp port video card into a Laptop.

And Like the other person Seid Untel That company stop making video cards for it. They will run on that laptop.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
...like I said.

But as I explained, the technology behind the physical slot/mechanism is the same.

RaPTuRe