Your question

A switch or a HUB

Tags:
  • Switch
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
April 24, 2002 6:35:05 AM

Hello
I was wondering if you guys have any though of what is better for a small home network: a 100mbps hub or a 100mbps switch. I have heard that switch is faster than the hub And is there noticable difference between a 100mbps and a 10mbps hub!

More about : switch hub

April 24, 2002 7:06:39 AM

1) 100 is noticeable over 10

2) Switch is better, although if you've only got 2 PC's it won't be noticeable. The difference is that the packets get repeated out ALL ports on a hub, but only get repeated out the destination MAC address port on a switch, thereby reducing collision potential. So the more machines on the LAN the better a switch would be vs. a hub.

If the switch is only a bit more expensive than the hub, go with the switch.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
April 24, 2002 9:09:11 PM

If it's just for a small home network then either would work fine, although I'm not sure how LAN gaming on a switch would be affected since it doesn't broadcast everything like a hub.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
Related resources
April 25, 2002 1:03:16 AM

if it's a true broadcast, it will go out every port.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
April 25, 2002 8:42:45 AM

a switch is a hub with a "brain" definately go for a switch if you can afford the diffrence, basically a hub is just like a splitter, it just splits the data up, whereas a switch will send it only where its meant to go.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
April 28, 2002 10:19:17 PM

Switch does not cost a lot more than a hub. Just get a switch.
!