[SOLVED] Installing Parallel desktop, XP using thumbdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
when you say you have the XP installation what do you mean?? you have the .exe or .msi files, or do you have the .iso image of the installation CD??

if you are using Unebootin - you need a .iso file (this file is an exact copy or "image" of the entire XP installation CD)

if you have a .iso file, do NOT mount it first and try to pick a file from within the CD, you need to point Unebootin at the .iso file directly.

Hope that helps.

:)

psychokineticnz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hey Ivan1973,

maybe I mis-understood you, did you want to be able to boot up a "parallels" version of windows XP from a USB stick - i.e. always using the USB stick, and not installing XP onto your mac?
- not sure how you would do this, I know how to setup a WinPE bootable USB stick - but not one running a parallels installed XP setup.

OR are you looking to install windows XP onto your mac, but you do not have a DVD drive (i.e. macbook air) and the "parallels" XP install will run from your mac's hard disk?

if it is the later - that link I mentioned works.

It's the same process for windows XP - you just substitute your Windows XP install disk for the Windows 7 install disk.

using an XP.iso image instead of a win7.iso image

The process for changing the MBR is exactly the same. (as per the blog instructions)

--
however you decide to do this, it will require you having your installation media in an .iso format (DVD image)
There are plenty of freeware "Create Bootable USB stick" progs out there, I use UNetbootin it can be found free here
Run the software and select the "disk image" option and point it at your XP.iso file.

ivan1973

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Hi, I actually want to install windows xp on my macbook air with Parallels desktop but I do not have external dvd drive. I see no reason to get an external drive just to install xp. By the way, do i really have to go through the convert the xp to iso image? Why?

psychokineticnz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hello Ivan,

Well you could always download an xp.iso image if you didn't want to create one. (the instructions on the link I gave require you to use a .iso image, so does the prog Unebootin)

once again, there are plenty of freeware apps that can quickly create a XP.iso for you - google it if you want to find one.

If you don't have access to a DVD drive, then the download option is your only choice.

psychokineticnz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
when you say you have the XP installation what do you mean?? you have the .exe or .msi files, or do you have the .iso image of the installation CD??

if you are using Unebootin - you need a .iso file (this file is an exact copy or "image" of the entire XP installation CD)

if you have a .iso file, do NOT mount it first and try to pick a file from within the CD, you need to point Unebootin at the .iso file directly.

Hope that helps.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.