Windows 8 Apps Not Installing

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Okay, for the past few days I have had a problem with some apps not working and when I try to install new apps in Modern UI (i.e. Metro), they won't install.

Has anyone else had this issue thus far?

I've so far seen this on Microsoft Reader (the PDF Viewing App) and XBox LIVE Games apps, the not working issue. The 'won't install' issue I've seen on every single app that I try to install since those two apps referenced above started doing their thing.

I've gone into the Event Viewer, sent the logs to Microsoft and even they are mystified as to what is going on here.

Here is one of the Event Viewer logs for reference:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell
[ Guid] {315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}

EventID 5961

Version 0

Level 2

Task 5961

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x4000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-09-07T02:37:51.417111700Z

EventRecordID 287

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 2716
[ ThreadID] 36

Channel Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational

Computer William-2

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-21-2816883422-823793239-2147708851-1001

- EventData

AppId Microsoft.XboxLIVEGames_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.XboxLIVEGames
ContractId Windows.Launch
ErrorCode -2144927141

Honestly cannot figure out what is going on here and a re-install is not an option since Windows 8 RTM is going to be released to consumers soon.

Oh, and to add another zinger: The Toms Hardware and Google Chrome apps still work just fine.

Solution
I too had the same issue with apps not updating or installing. I found it is directly related to an issue with Windows Update and not the Windows Store as so many people and sites suggest. Here are the steps to fix the issue with the Windows Update system and hopefully this pulls you out of the fire.

Step to fix apps not installing or updating.

First, make sure Windows Update is NOT running. Then pull out the menu on the right that has the options to Search, Start, etc. Click or touch Search. Click or touch Settings under the search field. Type troubleshooting into the search field. Then click or touch Troubleshooting over on the left. Once it is up and running, click or touch View All. Once it finishes loading all, you should see...

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Adding some more information here: The apps that won't install all are coming up with the same error message when they try to install, which is:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell
[ Guid] {315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}

EventID 1621

Version 0

Level 4

Task 1613

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x4000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-09-08T06:21:16.846229800Z

EventRecordID 322

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 2316
[ ThreadID] 920

Channel Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational

Computer William-2

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-21-2816883422-823793239-2147708851-1001

- EventData

ApplicationId WikimediaFoundation.Wikipedia_54ggd3ev8bvz6!App
ExecutionState 2
AppState 7
Result 0

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Sorry to respond to my own posting again, but now the Tom's Hardware, the last working pure Metro App on my machine has gone down the drain as well, leaving only the Windows Store as an app that will start beside Google Chrome, which isn't a pure Metro App.

There has GOT to be some sort of 'breaker' that Microsoft missed in the Release Preview. If this issue still exists after the Windows 8 RTM for consumers is released, then I will update.

hypnictek

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I too had the same issue with apps not updating or installing. I found it is directly related to an issue with Windows Update and not the Windows Store as so many people and sites suggest. Here are the steps to fix the issue with the Windows Update system and hopefully this pulls you out of the fire.

Step to fix apps not installing or updating.

First, make sure Windows Update is NOT running. Then pull out the menu on the right that has the options to Search, Start, etc. Click or touch Search. Click or touch Settings under the search field. Type troubleshooting into the search field. Then click or touch Troubleshooting over on the left. Once it is up and running, click or touch View All. Once it finishes loading all, you should see Windows Update on the bottom. Click or touch it! It will find a few issues, for me I had 4. I also was running Windows Update at the time and that is why I am instructing you to close it first (first time it only fixed 2 of the 4 issues and then after closing it, Troubleshooting fixed all 4).

If all issues are fixed reboot your system. If all of them were not fixed, close some stuff and run Troubleshooting again (refer to the above for the how-to-do). If again it does not fix them all, reboot your device and then run it again after a fresh reboot of the first items fixed.

Good luck and remember, "We are their guinea pigs".

Solution

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Really old posting from last years beta yes, but the issue still exists in the release version of Windows 8.

The only solution that I have found to this is to do an 'upgrade reinstall' of the operating system to fix whatever has been broken. I have also noticed that this issue is connected with accidentally or intentionally (thinking that the system has locked) forcibly shutting down the computer using the 'power button' trick when it says "Do not power down the system!" while it's updating things on shutdown or bootup.

wildebeaet

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

I tried troubleshooting, but it has been stuck on "Starting Bits Service" for over an hour now...
Do you have any suggestions?

CRGurganus

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Suggestions do not work. Ran the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter several times and a restart after each but the Windows Store App still does not respond. Tried all those extensive stuff on the "Tiles Not Responding Tutorial" but these suggestions do not solve the problem. Of course, the "REFRESH" suggestion might work (I will not use "REFRESH" because it kills all my installed programs) but that fix is not acceptable since it kills all of the installed programs.