geforce 2 gts overclocking help

G

i was very happy that my geforce 2 pro 64mb (eVGA)was coming from unitedmicro.com, till it came and had 6ns (64mb)!!!!!!!!!! (AND MY COMPUTER SAID IT WAS a GTS!!!) i was so fu**ing pissed off, arnt pros supposed to have 5ns?!!!!!!!(leadtek has 5.5 so thatd be ok also) well i tried to get it exchanged but it was a huge hassle so i just said forget it. anyway i got a blue orb and 4 ramsinks (front and backside) and im gonna do some serious overclocking :) what is the maximum i can go up to for core and ram? i checked the ram and it goes to 400mhz perfect & no lock ups, but i dont know how hot the rams are, so who can give me some advice on overclocking the geforce 2 gts?

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Do a search and use the number/code on the memory itself. You should be able to find out what the memory is rated for. If it runs stable i don't see what harm it'll do, at least with the proper cooling. The cooling you've got should be good. If you really want to o/c the crap outta it see if you can add a slot cooler to the card and add a fan blowing air across the card in addition to the blue orb.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
My Leadtek GTS has 5.5ns memory, and it goes right up to 400 for the memory before displaying any artifacts (using artifact tester), and without ramsinks. It does have a slotcooler and an additional fan placed inside the computer to blow over the memory though.

Just use whatever overclocking utility you have, up it a few mhz at a time, and then use an artifact tester to see if its stable. When you get the point where it displays any artifacts, bump it down 2 - 3 mhz. It's also helpful if you have a temperature sensor for your card to see if its overheating at these levels. Your core can probably go pretty high, but I didn't see any performance difference between 220/400 and 230/400.

As far as the limit for a GTS.... I don't think most people get them much past 400 for the memory, so you may not have much leeway for overclocking. The old pro's used to overclock up to and past Ultra levels though.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky