i've lost my c:drive!!

Maurice N ~ MVP Wrote:
> It more than likely has to do with the View settings in My Computer.
> When My Computer first shows up, Do you have System Tasks as a frame on
> =
> the left? What shows on the right side?
>
> The details displayed on the right, depend on your View settings.
>
> Try this: Select "View", then click Details. Assuming the Address bar
> =
> is sitting on My Computer, one of the lists you should see is "Hard
> Disk =
> drives".
>
> If needed, you can switch the left-hand frame from System Tasks, to a
> =
> Folder view. Select View, then Explorer Bar, then Folders.
>
> --=20
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> Paulc wrote:-
> I need help, when I go into "my computer " it gives me the following
> access to my a:drive (floppy drive)
> access to my d:drive (dvd player)
> access to my e:drive (cd-rw)
> and varies other shared folders & "my document" folders
> but access to my c:drive (hard drive)has gone, I can access my hard
> drive by opening a folder & entering "c:" in the address bar &
> hitting
> enter, where has it gone?
> =20
> I know it is something so easy & stupid to sort this out but for the
> life of me I can't do it.
> =20
> Also I'm having problems with burning cd's with windows media v9.00,
> it gives me an error message that I need to either use a new discs or
> change the write speed, i've tried a few discs now but still the
> same,
> if I go into the options & tools menu & try to change the write speed
> it will not save my changes after clicking the apply button, also the
> drop down box where media play saves the "disc image" is blank, is
> this all linked to the c: drive not being recognised
> =20
> please can someone advise me
> Paul-

When I open "my computer" I get the following displayed:
_Folders_Stored_on_this_computer_
Shared Documents Pauls Documents

_Devices_With_removable_drives[/U
Floppy_Drive_(a:)______________________________DVD_Drive_(d:)

CD-RW_Drive_(e:)

Other_
Dial Locations folder Mobile Folder

You wrote: Select "View", then click Details. Assuming the Address
bar
is sitting on My Computer, one of the lists you should see is "Hard
Disk
drives". & it doesn't list local drives at all only what I listed
above???

--
Paulc

Paul,

Strange indeed. You still cannot see C drive in Win Explorer, yet you can run most programs & do work ok.
Just for the heck of it, can you get to Win Explorer / My Computer, then do a View, then select Refresh. Any difference?

Is this a notebook or a desktop pc? Which brand / model?

By any chance, have you added any 3rd-party themes, or any 3rd-party shell enhancements (programs) ?

Is this pc running any "security" add-on program?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Paulc" wrote

> When I open "my computer" I get the following displayed:
> _Folders_Stored_on_this_computer_
> Shared Documents Pauls Documents
>
> _Devices_With_removable_drives[/U
> Floppy_Drive_(a:)______________________________DVD_Drive_(d:)
>
> CD-RW_Drive_(e:)
>
> Other_
> Dial Locations folder Mobile Folder
>
> You wrote: Select "View", then click Details. Assuming the Address
> bar
> is sitting on My Computer, one of the lists you should see is "Hard
> Disk
> drives". & it doesn't list local drives at all only what I listed
> above???
>
> --
> Paulc

Paul,

p.s. Have you had any device conflicts, or modified device drivers?
Is the HD an IDE/ SCSI/ Sata drive ?
Go into Device Manager, and see if your hard drive - controller is listed. Anything marked with a yellow question mark?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User