WinXP Hangs on boot

I have a WinXP Home machine that is hanging on boot up. I can boot to safe
mode and safe mode with net support. Net support allows me to connect to the
internet.

I have ran a virus scan both from this maching and from another with the
hard drive mapped, everything is fine. Ran spybot and deleted anything that
was there.

In MSconfig I unchecked all the boxes for the various .ini files and such,
same result.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what may be happening here. I was away when
this started however my wife says that nothing was installed while I was gone.

Thanks

Joe
4 answers Last reply
More about winxp hangs boot

    Hi Joe,

    Have you checked if it could be a HD problem? Try running CHKDSK in
    Safe Mode. Also have you defragmented lately?If you havent you can try
    running defragmenter also in safe mode.

    Thanks for your reply. I have not tried CHKDSK but will. I did defrag
    sometime ago, but I can certainly try that also.

    What should I be looking for with CHKDSK?

    Joe

    "2posters@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Hi Joe,
    >
    > Have you checked if it could be a HD problem? Try running CHKDSK in
    > Safe Mode. Also have you defragmented lately?If you havent you can try
    > running defragmenter also in safe mode.

    Hi Joe,

    Also uncheck unnecessary items in start up and this link will help you
    on CHKDSK

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx

    Successful safe mode startup indicated a driver problem is preventing normal
    boot. Run MSCONFIG select "Diagnostic setup" or select START tab and clear
    items. - if computer boots normally - add items back on start tab.

Support Boot Windows XP