WinXP Hangs on boot

August 6, 2005 3:13:03 PM

I have a WinXP Home machine that is hanging on boot up. I can boot to safe
mode and safe mode with net support. Net support allows me to connect to the
internet.

I have ran a virus scan both from this maching and from another with the
hard drive mapped, everything is fine. Ran spybot and deleted anything that
was there.

In MSconfig I unchecked all the boxes for the various .ini files and such,
same result.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what may be happening here. I was away when
this started however my wife says that nothing was installed while I was gone.

Thanks

Joe

More about : winxp hangs boot

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:22:28 AM

Hi Joe,

Have you checked if it could be a HD problem? Try running CHKDSK in
Safe Mode. Also have you defragmented lately?If you havent you can try
running defragmenter also in safe mode.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:43:01 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have not tried CHKDSK but will. I did defrag
sometime ago, but I can certainly try that also.

What should I be looking for with CHKDSK?

Joe

"2posters@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Have you checked if it could be a HD problem? Try running CHKDSK in
> Safe Mode. Also have you defragmented lately?If you havent you can try
> running defragmenter also in safe mode.

August 9, 2005 6:16:06 PM

Successful safe mode startup indicated a driver problem is preventing normal
boot. Run MSCONFIG select "Diagnostic setup" or select START tab and clear
items. - if computer boots normally - add items back on start tab.
!