Toshiba laptop shuts down during XP install

I am T/S a dropped laptop (Toshiba Satellite PIII with 256 MB RAM and a 20 GB
HDD) for a friend. I ran fdisk, created a 7 GB primary DOS partition, and
then attempted to install Windows XP Pro on that partition from a CD. Setup
loads all of the prelim files OK - ie HAL, Windows Executive etc. However,
when it gets to the "Starting Windows" screen, the machine shuts down. It has
happened a few times at the same place in the install cycle.
Any suggestions?
2 answers Last reply
More about toshiba laptop shuts install

    what is T/S ?

    Might want to use the Toshiba restore CD
    then go to Toshiba support and upgrade BIOS for XP.
    Maybe follow the upgrade path to get proper XP drivers.
    then boot from and install the XP C.D.. Let it format/partition.

    If you cant install the restore CD because you've beggar'd things
    you'll have to go to Toshiba support for the particular model and look for
    the dmi update utility, put it on a floppy and follow those instructions.

    "Doc USN" <DocUSN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am T/S a dropped laptop (Toshiba Satellite PIII with 256 MB RAM and a 20
    >GB
    > HDD) for a friend. I ran fdisk, created a 7 GB primary DOS partition, and
    > then attempted to install Windows XP Pro on that partition from a CD.
    > Setup
    > loads all of the prelim files OK - ie HAL, Windows Executive etc. However,
    > when it gets to the "Starting Windows" screen, the machine shuts down. It
    > has
    > happened a few times at the same place in the install cycle.
    > Any suggestions?

    T/S = Trouble Shooting.

    Bobby

    "bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message
    > what is T/S ?
    >
    > Might want to use the Toshiba restore CD
    > then go to Toshiba support and upgrade BIOS for XP.
    > Maybe follow the upgrade path to get proper XP drivers.
    > then boot from and install the XP C.D.. Let it format/partition.
    >
    > If you cant install the restore CD because you've beggar'd things
    > you'll have to go to Toshiba support for the particular model and look for
    > the dmi update utility, put it on a floppy and follow those instructions.
    >

    > "Doc USN" <DocUSN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am T/S a dropped laptop (Toshiba Satellite PIII with 256 MB RAM and a 20
    >>GB
    >> HDD) for a friend. I ran fdisk, created a 7 GB primary DOS partition, and
    >> then attempted to install Windows XP Pro on that partition from a CD.
    >> Setup
    >> loads all of the prelim files OK - ie HAL, Windows Executive etc.
    >> However,
    >> when it gets to the "Starting Windows" screen, the machine shuts down. It
    >> has
    >> happened a few times at the same place in the install cycle.
    >> Any suggestions?

Laptops Windows XP Toshiba