Longevity & performance

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
It's time to upgrade! Trouble is; upgrade to what? I'm leaning toward the Radeon 64 meg DDR (retail). Other choice is a Leadtek GF2 GTS 32 meg DDR (which is cheaper). Which will provide the most and best quality eye candy? Which has the most longevity? In 32 bit color and 1024x768 resolution, the GTS and Radeon seem to perform at about the same fps, so I don't think slow fps is an issue.
*Doesn't the Radeon have some DX 8 features? Does that give it more longevity?
*Also, some of the features of the Radeon seem to suggest better quality eye candy.
It seems as if (to me, anyway) that for me the Radeon is the way to go. Thoughts? Radeon or GF2 GTS?
btw- I've been reading the 11 page GF2 vs. Radeon debate. That's why I'm leaning toward Radeon...

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

G

if you want the card that will last longer, you have to choose the radeon. the radeon DOES support DX 8 features but the geforce 2 supports none.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Would a DX 8 optimized game run better on the Radeon (better quality, faster fps) than the GF2?
Aren't all benchmarks done at stock speeds? I mean, if you run a 183mhz Radeon against a 200mhz GTS, isn't that a performance hit to start with? If you take a 183mhz Radeon and o/c it to 200mhz, then how do the benchmarks compare?

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i belive the new retial version of the radeon run a 200/200

talk to noko to find on of these

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Yes the new Radeon 64 Retail are coming with a revised core and 5ns ram at 200/200(400DDR) core/mem. The core checks out to be SE according to SiSoft Saundra. Now if you go to Rage3d.com you can find where people have been picking up these faster versions of the Radeon64. The core will overclock to 250mhz plus while the mem usually clocks up to 230mhz plus. Now the only way to get one of these is either to look at it to verefy the 5ns ram or to buy from a known place. Best Buys here in town has Radeon 64 SE version except the cost is $199. On the net you can get them for $150. There is no difference on the outside of the box. These are the places that people have been finding them:

CompUSA and Best Buy ($199)- you can look to confirm
Fry's (???) you can look first
www.invado.com - $150
www.mwave.com
There are a number of other places as well, it all depends on the shipment. Some people got an SE from NewEgg.com while others received the Regular Radeon 64 Retail version. I was thinking of maybe upgrading to an SE version except my Radeon plays every game I have at Max settings without any problems, smooth as glass with the default 183/183 speed. So I said to myself what for? Besides I will probably get a Radeon 2 when the prices drop or who knows a Radeon2 Max maybe. If you are serious about getting a Radeon 64 (I think they are a great card myself) then trying to get a RadeonSE would be something that I would try to do. Just pose a question at Rage3d.com on that you want to buy a Radeon 64, and where can I buy the SE version from now since some of the links are getting old? You can also type in <b>RadeonSE</b> using the search engine to find most of the threads, they will be plenty.

<A HREF="http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23430" target="_new">I love my Radeon SE</A>
<A HREF="http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21570&highlight=RadeonSE" target="_new">I got a Radeon SE. Very funny post, you will find Rage3d.com a fabulous place</A>

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/30/01 10:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
After some searching, I've come to the conclusion that getting an SE is just luck of the draw! At least online.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
If you were me, you wouldn't have $300+ dollars to slap down on a freakin' graphics card!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
SE shouldn't be that hard to find on the internet as long as you go with a dealer that someone else received it from. Seems like invado.com is a place where many have bought a SE version for the Radeon. That is if you want to go with a Radeon SE. The Radeon LE for around $70 as far as I see it is the best bang for the buck if you want to save some money and have an advance card. The Radeon LE usually overclocks to the same speed as a regular Radeon 32 DDR for significantly less money. Plus it is easy to ativate HyperZ or flash the rom to a Radeon 32 DDR in which case they are identical in performance but it is around $50 less. If you have a 1Ghz or faster processor then a Kyro2 is also a great gaming card. GF2 pros are going for less then $150 but myself I wouldn't buy one but then that is me. GF2 pro's are fast I just have issues with the 2d and 3d rendering quality of the GF2's, plus I do video and DVD stuff. Still plenty of people will swear by then and they do have good game performance.

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/31/01 10:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i got the winfast geeforce2pro 32mb.
its a nice little board.

only problem i have at the moment is getting my overclocking settings to "stick"
more a driver issue i think.

but judging what ive seen thus far its good to overclock.
440mhz ram i think.
once ive got this sorted ill post some more difinitive OC scores.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Actually, that is the other choice I'm looking at. Like I posted earlier, I don't have $300+ bucks to slap down on a vid card. I, on the other hand, have been <i>kinda</i> burned by the GF2 MX, so I'm not looking for cheapass stuff either. Seems like the $150 range will get a card that will work pretty well with most games (at best rez, fps, & quality), and last a good year or two. I took a chance on AMD (about which, I knew nothing) for my newest system, maybe I'll take a chance on ATI as well. I just keep moving further and further into uncharted territory (it is to me anyway)!

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
With almost every post where someone claims to have gotten an SE, they also post that "a friend who ordered from the same place after me got a regular version". It still seems like a shot in the dark. I think I'll try newegg.com though. The other links (i.e. invado.com) are to online stores I'm just not familiar with, and therefore, a little uncomfortable ordering from.
BTW- Are the SE's even real? ATI seems to deny the existence of such a product. Almost has the qualities of "hoax".
Thanks for your help, Noko!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Yes they are real, kinda frustrating because you are paying the same price for a card that comes with 183/183 core/mem or a card clocked at 200/200, 5.5ns ram to 5ns ram. The 183/183 card will clock up to around 200/200 some higher and the SE will overclock to 230/230 plus. Still, I play all my games at stock speed and I don't have any problems with max settings. Here are the games that have Enviromental Bump Mapping which the Radeon supports and the GF2 cards don't: (Kinda interesting because it is a significant quality feature.)

<b>Games featuring EMBM</b>

Aquarius™
Battlezone II: Combat Commander™
Battle Isle: The Andosia war
BITM
Carmageddon®: TDR 2000™
Colin McRae Rally 2
Descent 3™: Mercenary
Descent 3™
Destroyer Command™
Drakan™
Dungeon Keeper™ 2