Recurring Virus

How is it that i run Ad-Adware and it find a virus, i clean it, and it comes
back the next time i use my PC. Has it missed something?
--
MissT
7 answers Last reply

    Turn off System Restore. Reboot. Run AntiVirus and Ad-Aware. If a virus is
    found, many antivirus products have removal tools or instructions that can
    be found at their website. Reboot. Turn on System Restore.

    Note: Turning off System Restore will delete all restore points, but it will
    also clear the bug that may have stored itself there.

    Fitz

    1) What virus is it? 2) Are you using an antivirus program with current updates - and did you run a full virus scan? If not, do so a.s.a.p (after you have updated the AV definitions). Run that & post back here with results.

    2) If it was shown as other than a virus, you should do a number of other checks for "malware".
    See The Parasite Fight Quick Fix Protocol at <http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm>
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "MissT" wrote
    > How is it that i run Ad-Adware and it find a virus, i clean it, and it comes
    > back the next time i use my PC. Has it missed something?
    > --
    > MissT

    AdAware is not an anti-virus program.

    "MissT" <MissT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | How is it that i run Ad-Adware and it find a virus, i clean it, and it
    comes
    | back the next time i use my PC. Has it missed something?
    | --
    | MissT

    No, but it will detect certain Trojans, which Antivirus programs will also
    detect. From what I've read, the main reason a Trojan is not identified as a
    "worm" or a virus is that they are not self replicating.

    Fitz

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    I can analyze it.

    HijackThis

    "MissT" <MissT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How is it that i run Ad-Adware and it find a virus, i clean it, and it
    > comes
    > back the next time i use my PC. Has it missed something?
    > --
    > MissT

    might boot up in Safe mode
    then run your Ad-Adware

    "MissT" <MissT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How is it that i run Ad-Adware and it find a virus, i clean it, and it
    > comes
    > back the next time i use my PC. Has it missed something?
    > --
    > MissT

    On the issue of clearing System Restore when infection is a possibility.... to preserve your chances of reversing a mistake during cleanups, you want to keep your restore points, until *after* the you're satisfied the problem is fixed.
    Clear them too early, then if you make a mis-step, you can't undo your mistake.

    See Bug busting: Getting Rid of Spyware by Sandi Hardmeier, MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/bugbusting.mspx

    But back to the OP's original issue, for cleanup of viruses, run your Antivirus program in both Normal & Safe mode Windows.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Fitz wrote:
    > Turn off System Restore. Reboot. Run AntiVirus and Ad-Aware. If a
    > virus is found, many antivirus products have removal tools or
    > instructions that can be found at their website. Reboot. Turn on
    > System Restore.
    >
    > Note: Turning off System Restore will delete all restore points, but
    > it will also clear the bug that may have stored itself there.
    >
    > Fitz

Virus Support Microsoft Windows XP