What graphics card for P II 400?

Ronin13

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I'm thinking of upgrading my venerable TNT card.

I have a Pentium II 400 mhz with 128 mb 100 hz ram, 2xAGP and a 17" monitor.

What are your recommendations?

Will a GeForce2 Pro be severely restricted by the 400 mhz cpu?

Will there be a noticeable difference between a GeForce2 Pro and a GeForce2 MX (considering the cpu)?

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Voodoo 5 5500 gives best performance with older CPUs even the PCI version. Check Anandtech. Sorry I'm too lazy to go and look for the link.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
go for a geforce2 mx 400. they're cheap and perform well enough. you can get one for around 60$.

yes a pII 400 would limit your performance with a geforce2.
no you wouldn't notice the difference with that cpu.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>

Ronin13

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks for the replies so far.

I really want to go with a GeForce based card, so as I see it I have 3 options:

GeForce2 MX 32 mb DDR @ 350 Mhz : 120$

GeForce2 Pro 64 mb DDR @ 400 Mhz : 225$

GeForce3 64 mb DDR@ 460 Mhz : 450$

These are all '3D Blaster' cards by Creative Labs and may be called something else in the US.

(Please don't comment on the prices. They are the lowest possible here in Denmark and I won't get it much cheaper by going with another brand. And the Creative cards are ok, right?)

Or maybe an Asus GeForce256 MX 32 mb SD : 80$?

I will build a new rig this winter, so i might migrate whatever card I get to this machine.

Will I have power problems running either of these cards? My mobo is an Asus P2B 440BX.

Suggestions?

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes creative makes good products although if you can find them i would recommend any card by leadtek. they are just as good only a little less expensive. i would probably go for the geforce2 pro card if you can afford it. of course if money isn't a problem, get the gf3. while they would be limited somewhat, they probably won't be when you upgrade later on. the newer geforce cards are less power hungry than the first generation, so as long as you have at least a 300w power supply, you won't have any problems. if you don't mind ordering over the internet from the u.s.a. you could look at www.pricewatch.com for the best prices. i could also recommend www.sg3d.com. they are reliable and i would trust them if i wanted to buy from overseas.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>