PC remote control/config

On a home LAN with PCs using XP, is there a way to have one PC (master)
remotely configure applications like firewalls, on the remote PCs?

If so, can this be setup so it can be done unilaterally or without any
approvals or operator acceptance required from the remote PCs?

Sometimes the help desk people at work take over my PC but I have to give
them permission

Any tips appreciated.
thanks

Sure, assuming all the machines are running XP Pro or XP Media Center
edition. It's called Remote Desktop. Google it.

If they're running XP Home or other version of Windows, try VNC. It's
freeware.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Remote-Utils/VNC-for-Windows.shtml

Tom

trs80 wrote:

> PC remote control/config
>
> On a home LAN with PCs using XP, is there a way to have one PC (master)
> remotely configure applications like firewalls, on the remote PCs?
>
> If so, can this be setup so it can be done unilaterally or without any
> approvals or operator acceptance required from the remote PCs?
>
> Sometimes the help desk people at work take over my PC but I have to give
> them permission
>
> Any tips appreciated.
> thanks

Another, OS independent, alternative is called VNC (the OS independence
comes at the cost of bandwith, but it works fine over 802.11B). RealVNC
offers both a free viewer (client) and server. The problem with both
remote desktop and vnc is that you will take over the active users
session (it can be set up to be done without their approval). Remote
desktop logs the current user out, and RealVNC lets the remote user
control the current active session. There are a couple other
alternatives, but rdesktop (as already mentioned, requires XP Pro or
MCE) and vnc (servers and clients exist for almost any OS) are your best
bet for Windows machines on a local network. Also note that neither are
particularly secure (although you can set up port forwarding over SSH if
that's really a concern -- probably isn't for home networks).

ok..thanks....great inputs!