Wireless Router as a Wireless Bridge

I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
have an extra wireless router sitting around.

Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?

Thanks!
Doug
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless router wireless bridge

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:47:32 -0700, DBM wrote
    (in article <8bbeefcc.0405180847.afa6589@posting.google.com>):

    > I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
    > The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
    > have an extra wireless router sitting around.
    >
    > Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?

    Some models will function in both modes: Access Point (AP) mode, and Client
    mode. You want client mode. Check the documentation or the manufacturer's web
    site. Newer firmware for your product may add bridging features.

    Third-party firmware can be loaded into some APs which will give more
    functionality. Karlnet is one such publisher of firmware products:

    http://www.karlnet.com/Library/FAQ/Index.html

    Look at questions 9 and 10 in the FAQ. These two firmware products, I think,
    are what you want, if in fact your model of AP will accept Karlnet firmware.

    The downside is that these products cost close to the price of an
    off-the-shelf dedicated bridge box (ie, LinkSys WET11).

    Good luck,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net

    I have one that will do that, and also one that won't.

    "DBM" <dmaciuca@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
    > The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
    > have an extra wireless router sitting around.
    >
    > Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Doug

    To be more specific I have a Netgear MR814. Would it work? If so, do
    I connect it with a direct or crossover cable? Also, should I set it
    up in peer-to-peer or in infrastructure mode?

    Thanks!

    "bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message news:<2asqc.83351$sK3.5607@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
    > I have one that will do that, and also one that won't.
    >
    > "DBM" <dmaciuca@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
    > > The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
    > > have an extra wireless router sitting around.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Doug

    In article <8bbeefcc.0405180847.afa6589@posting.google.com>,
    DBM <dmaciuca@hotmail.com> wrote:
    :I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
    :The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
    :have an extra wireless router sitting around.

    :Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?

    Not in general, No. But *some* wireless router models are happy to
    act as wireless bridges.
    --
    csh is bad drugs.

Wireless Wireless Router Ethernet Card Wireless Networking