Wireless Router as a Wireless Bridge

I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
have an extra wireless router sitting around.

Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?

Thanks!
Doug

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:47:32 -0700, DBM wrote
(in article <8bbeefcc.0405180847.afa6589@posting.google.com>):

> I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
> The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
> have an extra wireless router sitting around.
>
> Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?

Some models will function in both modes: Access Point (AP) mode, and Client
mode. You want client mode. Check the documentation or the manufacturer's web
site. Newer firmware for your product may add bridging features.

Third-party firmware can be loaded into some APs which will give more
functionality. Karlnet is one such publisher of firmware products:

http://www.karlnet.com/Library/FAQ/Index.html

Look at questions 9 and 10 in the FAQ. These two firmware products, I think,
are what you want, if in fact your model of AP will accept Karlnet firmware.

The downside is that these products cost close to the price of an
off-the-shelf dedicated bridge box (ie, LinkSys WET11).

Good luck,
--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

I have one that will do that, and also one that won't.

"DBM" <dmaciuca@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
> The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
> have an extra wireless router sitting around.
>
> Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?
>
> Thanks!
> Doug

To be more specific I have a Netgear MR814. Would it work? If so, do
I connect it with a direct or crossover cable? Also, should I set it
up in peer-to-peer or in infrastructure mode?

Thanks!

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message news:<2asqc.83351$sK3.5607@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
> I have one that will do that, and also one that won't.
>
> "DBM" <dmaciuca@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
> > The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
> > have an extra wireless router sitting around.
> >
> > Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Doug

In article <8bbeefcc.0405180847.afa6589@posting.google.com>,
DBM <dmaciuca@hotmail.com> wrote:
:I have a wired ethernet device which I would like to make wireless.
:The easiest way would be to use a wireless bridge, but I happen to
:have an extra wireless router sitting around.

:Is there a way to make a wireless router act as a wireless bridge?

Not in general, No. But *some* wireless router models are happy to
act as wireless bridges.
--
csh is bad drugs.