I want a 15 inch laptop, under $1500, with graphics at or above a GTX660m. I'd consider a laptop with a GT 650m, but....
It CAN'T have optimus. I'll be running linux (Ubuntu) on it, so I don't want to have to fight with Bumblebee just to use my nvidia card.
I've looked at the Asus G55, and it looks like it would have everything I would need. However this laptop will also be used for school, so if I can find a lighter laptop, that would be awesome.
The best laptop for the price I've seen is MSI's GE60, which is lighter, but has all the hardware running in the G55, but has optimus.
Also, if anyone has run MSI's GT60 on Ubuntu, how does it run. I've heard that Linux support for the Killer network cards is terrible. Is the killer card just running ethernet, or is running the wireless as well? If that laptop has a serperate wireless card that has decent support on ubuntu, I'd probably look at that one as well, since I'd be running on wireless most of the time anyways.
Anyways, these are two of the laptops I'm looking at:
1. What is your budget?
Up to $1500 CAD
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080 is preferable, but 1366x768 would be okay
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
preferably portable, but gaming laptops usually aren't so.
5. How much battery life do you need?
a few hours at least.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Med-High would be preferable, but again budget is still more important.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500Gb or more
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years (it's for university)
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Just DVD is required, but Bluray would be awesome.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't really have any brand preferences,
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
You could check out xoitcpc.com. They offer custom ordered laptops built from barebones to your specifications. There are other custom builders, but this one carries a lot of the different barebones models and brands. Check them out.