D3D

G

I am using a GeForce 2 Deluxe card. It seems to have problems with D3D games. During those games, graphics will flicker. On OpenGL games, everything is great. I have shut off anti aliasing on D3D games, but no difference. I am using the latest Asus drivers for the card (6.31C, I think that's it, I know it's the latest.) Is there anything anyone could suggest? Should I increase my AGP Aperature in the BIOS, it is at 64M now, I don't know if that will make any difference. My 3DMark2001 score is only around 2021.

Can someone please help me resolve this?

Thanks in advance.
Derek

G

have you loaded the latest version of direct x?

ignore everything i say

G

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

By the time you post this message, your computer has been outdated.

G

I will try that when I get home tonight. What does vsync do?

Derek

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
When vsync is off, the scene gets rendered at the fastest possible rate. This means, a scene may finish renderring while the pixels are still being put on the screen. So, you end up getting some pixels on the screen from one frame and the rest from the next. This may cause tearing and some flickering.

When vsync is on, the system will render in sync with the refresh rate of the screen. so, the system will wait for the screen to be fully drawn before proceeding to the next frame.

This may solve your problem.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

I turned on VSync, and although it did help somewhat, I am still having the same problem. Any other ideas?

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think you should contact Asus. I'm not too sure what is wrong.

Does is happen in all directX games, or just some of them? Is it flickering textures on certain objects or is the whole screen flickering? what resolution are you running at? what refresh rate is being used by that resolution?

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

PortVale

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had the same problem with my ATI Radeon 32MB DDR card. OpenGL was great but D3D suffered from the same problem.
The problem was that I had enabled HyperZ through a Radeon tweaker. This feature was not supposed to be enabled on my particular Radeon card. I disabled it and everything ran fine. I realise that this feature does not apply to GeForce cards, but the point is still the same. Check all your options under the D3D tab, remove (or add) one at a time to see if it makes a difference. Sorry that the reply is not to specific. It took me ages to find out my solution!

G

The flickering is very spuradic, it might run fine for 5 minutes, and then all of a sudden a big thick black line will appear for just a second across the top, middle, or bottom of the screen. Again, it's just a quick flash, but it happens regular enough to be irritating. I am running the resolution at 800X600, 32-bit colour, and a refresh rate of 100. I have a Duron 800 CPU with an Asus A7Pro mobo, and 320M of RAM. Very frustrating.

I will go home tonight, and double check all my settings and see if any of them make any difference at all.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Derek