How can I look up the brand name of my hard drive?

How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name of
my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's web
site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
15 answers Last reply
More about brand hard drive

    Right click your hard drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer. Choose the
    Hardware tab. You should see the hard drive there.

    "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    > of
    > my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    > web
    > site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

    It might be a Seagate, but you can go to the Dell online solution center,
    then, if you don't already have an account, you'll need to sign up. Once
    you are signed up and logged in, go to Product Support. you'll need your
    service tag number, ( but I think you can let Dell search your computer for
    it) Then, from the Product Support page, look for Popular Resources ( on the
    right side of the screen) Then, look for Original Configuration, assuming
    you have made no hard drive changes, it's listed there.

    "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    > of
    > my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    > web
    > site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

    p.s. Easy access to the online support is,
    click start>Dell Solution Center.

    marshur thought and wrote:

    > How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    > of
    > my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    > web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

    BelArc Advisor
    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    --
    William

    Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
    abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's

    VManes thought and wrote:

    > Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
    > abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)

    Please reply to the OP, not me.

    --
    William

    Use this http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

    "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    > of
    > my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    > web
    > site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

    The brand of my computer does not show in Device Manager, mine is a Seagate,
    what's listed in Device Manager is ST320011A.

    "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message
    > Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
    > abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)
    >
    > --
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
    > Crystals...
    > let's watch what happens."
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > marshur thought and wrote:
    >
    >> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    >> of
    >> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    >> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
    >
    > BelArc Advisor
    > http://belarc.com/free_download.html
    >
    > --
    > William

    That's a very nice program, thanks for posting it, but upon inspection, it
    does not give the brand name, but does provide a link to the Dell Solution
    Center, same as the one I posted.
    However, the information that site provides is great, I really appreciate
    it.

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > marshur thought and wrote:
    >
    >> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    >> of
    >> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    >> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
    >
    > BelArc Advisor
    > http://belarc.com/free_download.html
    >
    > --
    > William

    Sorry, I just replied to your ( this ) post, well, at least I meant to, but
    as you see, a mistake was made.. anyway, thanks for the BelArc link.

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > marshur thought and wrote:
    >
    >> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    >> of
    >> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    >> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
    >
    > BelArc Advisor
    > http://belarc.com/free_download.html
    >
    > --
    > William

    ST is the code for Seagate. So it does show!

    > The brand of my computer does not show in Device Manager, mine is a
    > Seagate, what's listed in Device Manager is ST320011A.
    >
    > "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message
    >> Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
    >> abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)
    >>
    >> --
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
    >> Crystals...
    >> let's watch what happens."
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> marshur thought and wrote:
    >>
    >>> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    >>> of
    >>> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    >>> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
    >>
    >> BelArc Advisor
    >> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> William

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
    > of
    > my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
    > web
    > site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

    Take it out and look at it.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Well, I'll be. Of course, without your help, I would have never figured
    that out, as many other people might not either. Thanks for the insight.

    "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > ST is the code for Seagate. So it does show!
    >
    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> The brand of my computer does not show in Device Manager, mine is a
    >> Seagate, what's listed in Device Manager is ST320011A.
    >>
    >> "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message
    >>> Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
    >>> abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>> "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
    >>> Crystals...
    >>> let's watch what happens."
    >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> BelArc Advisor
    >>> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> William

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Well, I'll be. Of course, without your help, I would have never figured
    > that out, as many other people might not either. Thanks for the insight.

    Google is your friend. Search on the model number will give you the
    manufacturer every time.

    Kerry

    > "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >> ST is the code for Seagate. So it does show!
    >>
    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> The brand of my computer does not show in Device Manager, mine is a
    >>> Seagate, what's listed in Device Manager is ST320011A.
    >>>
    >>> "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ya, I should have thought of that myself, I use Google for everything. Just
    never occurred to me. ;)

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Well, I'll be. Of course, without your help, I would have never figured
    >> that out, as many other people might not either. Thanks for the insight.
    >>

    > Google is your friend. Search on the model number will give you the
    > manufacturer every time.
    >
    > Kerry
    >
    >> "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >>> ST is the code for Seagate. So it does show!
    >>>
    >>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message

Support Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP