How can I look up the brand name of my hard drive?

August 6, 2005 7:47:01 PM

How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name of
my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's web
site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

More about : brand hard drive

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 8:19:11 PM

Right click your hard drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer. Choose the
Hardware tab. You should see the hard drive there.

"marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
> of
> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
> web
> site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:30:28 PM

It might be a Seagate, but you can go to the Dell online solution center,
then, if you don't already have an account, you'll need to sign up. Once
you are signed up and logged in, go to Product Support. you'll need your
service tag number, ( but I think you can let Dell search your computer for
it) Then, from the Product Support page, look for Popular Resources ( on the
right side of the screen) Then, look for Original Configuration, assuming
you have made no hard drive changes, it's listed there.

"marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
> of
> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
> web
> site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
August 6, 2005 10:39:21 PM

p.s. Easy access to the online support is,
click start>Dell Solution Center.

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> It might be a Seagate, but you can go to the Dell online solution center,
> then, if you don't already have an account, you'll need to sign up. Once
> you are signed up and logged in, go to Product Support. you'll need your
> service tag number, ( but I think you can let Dell search your computer
> for it) Then, from the Product Support page, look for Popular Resources
> ( on the right side of the screen) Then, look for Original Configuration,
> assuming you have made no hard drive changes, it's listed there.
>
> "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
>> of
>> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
>> web
>> site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 12:37:56 AM

marshur thought and wrote:

> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
> of
> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

BelArc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

--
William
Anonymous

Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
marshur thought and wrote:

> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
> of
> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

BelArc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

--
William
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:01:39 AM

VManes thought and wrote:

> Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
> abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)

Please reply to the OP, not me.

--
William
Anonymous

Use this http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

"marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
> of
> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
> web
> site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 12:04:35 PM

The brand of my computer does not show in Device Manager, mine is a Seagate,
what's listed in Device Manager is ST320011A.

"VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message
> Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
> abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
> Crystals...
> let's watch what happens."
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> marshur thought and wrote:
>
>> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
>> of
>> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
>> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
>
> BelArc Advisor
> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 12:45:21 PM

That's a very nice program, thanks for posting it, but upon inspection, it
does not give the brand name, but does provide a link to the Dell Solution
Center, same as the one I posted.
However, the information that site provides is great, I really appreciate
it.

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> marshur thought and wrote:
>
>> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
>> of
>> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
>> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
>
> BelArc Advisor
> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> --
> William
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 12:49:38 PM

Sorry, I just replied to your ( this ) post, well, at least I meant to, but
as you see, a mistake was made.. anyway, thanks for the BelArc link.

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> marshur thought and wrote:
>
>> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
>> of
>> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
>> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
>
> BelArc Advisor
> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> --
> William
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:18:56 PM

ST is the code for Seagate. So it does show!

> The brand of my computer does not show in Device Manager, mine is a
> Seagate, what's listed in Device Manager is ST320011A.
>
> "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message
>> Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
>> abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)
>>
>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
>> Crystals...
>> let's watch what happens."
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> marshur thought and wrote:
>>
>>> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
>>> of
>>> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
>>> web site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.
>>
>> BelArc Advisor
>> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
>>
>> --
>> William

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:29:43 PM

"marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I look up on my Dell Laptop computer, to find out the brand name
> of
> my Hard Drive? I need to know this so that I can go onto that Brand's
> web
> site to down load the diagnostic test for my hard drive.

Take it out and look at it.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:24:58 PM

Well, I'll be. Of course, without your help, I would have never figured
that out, as many other people might not either. Thanks for the insight.

"Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> ST is the code for Seagate. So it does show!
>
> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>> The brand of my computer does not show in Device Manager, mine is a
>> Seagate, what's listed in Device Manager is ST320011A.
>>
>> "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message
>>> Device Manager generally gives the name of the drive maker - it may be
>>> abbreviated (WDC for Western Digital, for example)
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
>>> Crystals...
>>> let's watch what happens."
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> BelArc Advisor
>>> http://belarc.com/free_download.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> William

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:24:59 PM

> Well, I'll be. Of course, without your help, I would have never figured
> that out, as many other people might not either. Thanks for the insight.

Google is your friend. Search on the model number will give you the
manufacturer every time.

Kerry

> "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> ST is the code for Seagate. So it does show!
>>
>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> The brand of my computer does not show in Device Manager, mine is a
>>> Seagate, what's listed in Device Manager is ST320011A.
>>>
>>> "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:22:03 PM

Ya, I should have thought of that myself, I use Google for everything. Just
never occurred to me. ;)

!