Dell Inspiron 6000 vs. Latitude D610...

Tman

Any opinions on the difference in terms of performance and reliability and
screen quality ?

TIA.

Tman

The answer is that it depends.

The 600/610 is smaller than the 6000, and lighter in weight.

The base Inspiron 6000 has integrated Intel video and no provision for
an upgrade (i.e., no PCI Express slot).

The Inspiron 6000d has an ATI X300 PCI Express card separate from the
mainboard.

The Latitude D600/Inspiron 600m has integrated ATI Radeon 9000 AGP, no
upgrades (the chip and memory are not part of the chipset, but are
soldered onto the mainboard and not upgradeable.

The Latitude D610 has either Intel integrated video or separate ATI X300
PCI Express video. Both are part of the mainboard and not upgradeable
in any way.

Tman wrote:

> Any opinions on the difference in terms of performance and reliability and
> screen quality ?
>
> TIA.
>
> Tman

Although I would have preferred a widescreen laptop, I went with the
D610 largely because of the size diffence. I'm comming off an IBM T21
Thinkpad, and so far I'm really impressed by the D610 (in terms of build
quality, screen, etc.). The only features that I feel its lacking would
be lacking on the 6000 as well (eg. a keyboard light or a way to turn
off the screen from the hardware -- not from Windows). I went with the
2GHz chip, the X300 and a gig of RAM, and so far it performs up there
with 3+GHz desktops for most tasks. Also note that Latitudes come with
a 3 year base warranty on the parts. The only major issue I have is a
low feedback sound that can be heard when wearing the headphones with
the sound not playing (it stops while something, like an IM or MP3
generates a sound). This is a known issue and I've heard it affects
other Dells (check out the threads at notebookforums.com) and there's no
known solution (it occurs in Linux as well, so I doubt a driver will fix
it). For me it's not enough to warrant a return (I do have an iPod and
mostly listen to music from there), but this may be important.

diff size.... D610 is 14.1" screen and lighter than the 6000.

All depends on your needs.