Mouse and Explorer CPU usage problem

I have been having some major issues with my mouse recently - anytime I so
much as move my mouse (clicking does nothing) My CPU usage for Explorer
jumps up, immediatly to 50% and if I make any slightly erratic movements, up
to 99% It causes major issues in quite a few games, as well as totally
screwing up any multitasking I wish to do, any suggestions on how to fix
this?

If so, please either post here, or (preferably) contact me by E-mail at:
Aragorn2222@(remove t_h_i_s)MSN.com
2 answers Last reply
More about mouse explorer usage problem

    You probably use two pointing devices, and there is a conflict. (mouse pad, plus USB mouse, etc)

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Dziuk" <Dziuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95B8F1D6-06B7-4BB5-861C-0E1087C23054@microsoft.com...
    >I have been having some major issues with my mouse recently - anytime I so
    > much as move my mouse (clicking does nothing) My CPU usage for Explorer
    > jumps up, immediatly to 50% and if I make any slightly erratic movements, up
    > to 99% It causes major issues in quite a few games, as well as totally
    > screwing up any multitasking I wish to do, any suggestions on how to fix
    > this?
    >
    > If so, please either post here, or (preferably) contact me by E-mail at:
    > Aragorn2222@(remove t_h_i_s)MSN.com

    I have a Logitech keyboard hooked up to one computer. I switched users without
    logging out. Then I hit one of those shortcut hotkeys at the top of the keyboard
    (I hit the Search button - would it go to Google please). My CPU went to 100%
    and stayed there. One process was using 98% (I think it was "Webcollector.exe"
    or an abbreviated name of this and it is for Logitech mice...and I don't have a
    Logitech mouse!). When I finally got back to the original User: Google came up
    like 5 times in quick succession, like they had been prehit by the Search button
    in the previous User. So logging out of a User first before using another User
    may be the answer to stop the machine from locking up. You could switch users
    without logging out and use the keyboard as long as you don't hit one of those
    newfangled keys that Logitech is known for. Also, the Logitech Messenger program
    in msconfig has long been unchecked; but I was getting prompts today to check
    for Logitech updates and I clicked NO in each user. Logitech Messenger can lock
    up the CPU at 100% too. Damn Logitech!

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You probably use two pointing devices, and there is a conflict.
    > (mouse pad, plus USB mouse, etc)
    >
    >> I have been having some major issues with my mouse recently -
    >> anytime I so much as move my mouse (clicking does nothing) My CPU
    >> usage for Explorer jumps up, immediatly to 50% and if I make any
    >> slightly erratic movements, up to 99% It causes major issues in
    >> quite a few games, as well as totally screwing up any multitasking I
    >> wish to do, any suggestions on how to fix this?
    >>
    >> If so, please either post here, or (preferably) contact me by E-mail
    >> at: Aragorn2222@(remove t_h_i_s)MSN.com

Mice Explorer CPUs Windows XP