C++ Runtime error with IE startup

This just started to happen today, worked fine yesterday. I try to open
explorer, from desktop or an email link and get this message:

Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime library

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

way. Please contact the application support team for more info.

XP does not try to send an error message, like it does when something
crashes.

I tried a system restore to yesterday but that didn't work.

Thought I'd try here for any suggestions before restoring any earlier.

Thanks for any help!

One of the add-ons is probably causing this. See:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21506092.html

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"NotYou" <not@you.com> wrote in message
> This just started to happen today, worked fine yesterday. I try to open
> explorer, from desktop or an email link and get this message:
>
> Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime library
>
> Runtime Error!
>
> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
> unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more info.
>
> XP does not try to send an error message, like it does when something
> crashes.
>
> I tried a system restore to yesterday but that didn't work.
>
> Thought I'd try here for any suggestions before restoring any earlier.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Thank you for the reply, but I cannot open the link. I get the message I
posted about when I try. Could you paste it?

> One of the add-ons is probably causing this. See:
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21506092.html
>

> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "NotYou" <not@you.com> wrote in message
>> This just started to happen today, worked fine yesterday. I try to open
>> explorer, from desktop or an email link and get this message:
>>
>> Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime library
>>
>> Runtime Error!
>>
>> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>>
>> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
>> unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more info.
>>
>> XP does not try to send an error message, like it does when something
>> crashes.
>>
>> I tried a system restore to yesterday but that didn't work.
>>
>> Thought I'd try here for any suggestions before restoring any earlier.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!

<quote from my post>
To determine if an IE plugin is causing the crash, first, disable the tool
bands and Browser Helper Objects features:

1. Click Start, Run, type Control Inetcpl.cpl.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions
(requires restart) check box.
4. Restart Internet Explorer.

If disabling 3rd party extensions solves the problem, the problem is with a
malware Browser Helper Object [BHO]. Use ToolbarCop and spot the malware BHO
causing the problem.

Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

(or)

BHODaemon - disable unwanted browser helper plugins:
http://www.webattack.com/get/bhodaemon.shtml

See also:

Can't access Windows Explorer, Control Panel et al.
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=13574&view=previous
</quote>

--

> Thank you for the reply, but I cannot open the link. I get the message I
> posted about when I try. Could you paste it?
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> One of the add-ons is probably causing this. See:
>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21506092.html
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "NotYou" <not@you.com> wrote in message
>>> This just started to happen today, worked fine yesterday. I try to open
>>> explorer, from desktop or an email link and get this message:
>>>
>>> Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime library
>>>
>>> Runtime Error!
>>>
>>> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>>>
>>> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
>>> unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more info.
>>>
>>> XP does not try to send an error message, like it does when something
>>> crashes.
>>>
>>> I tried a system restore to yesterday but that didn't work.
>>>
>>> Thought I'd try here for any suggestions before restoring any earlier.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!

Thank you very much! I will download the Toolbar Cop now!