C++ Runtime error with IE startup

This just started to happen today, worked fine yesterday. I try to open
explorer, from desktop or an email link and get this message:

Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime library

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

way. Please contact the application support team for more info.

XP does not try to send an error message, like it does when something
crashes.

I tried a system restore to yesterday but that didn't work.

Thought I'd try here for any suggestions before restoring any earlier.

Thanks for any help!
4 answers Last reply
More about runtime error startup

    One of the add-ons is probably causing this. See:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21506092.html

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "NotYou" <not@you.com> wrote in message
    > This just started to happen today, worked fine yesterday. I try to open
    > explorer, from desktop or an email link and get this message:
    >
    > Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime library
    >
    > Runtime Error!
    >
    > Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    >
    > This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
    > unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more info.
    >
    > XP does not try to send an error message, like it does when something
    > crashes.
    >
    > I tried a system restore to yesterday but that didn't work.
    >
    > Thought I'd try here for any suggestions before restoring any earlier.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Thank you for the reply, but I cannot open the link. I get the message I
    posted about when I try. Could you paste it?

    > One of the add-ons is probably causing this. See:
    > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21506092.html
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "NotYou" <not@you.com> wrote in message
    >> This just started to happen today, worked fine yesterday. I try to open
    >> explorer, from desktop or an email link and get this message:
    >>
    >> Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime library
    >>
    >> Runtime Error!
    >>
    >> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    >>
    >> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
    >> unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more info.
    >>
    >> XP does not try to send an error message, like it does when something
    >> crashes.
    >>
    >> I tried a system restore to yesterday but that didn't work.
    >>
    >> Thought I'd try here for any suggestions before restoring any earlier.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    <quote from my post>
    To determine if an IE plugin is causing the crash, first, disable the tool
    bands and Browser Helper Objects features:

    1. Click Start, Run, type Control Inetcpl.cpl.
    2. Click the Advanced tab.
    3. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions
    (requires restart) check box.
    4. Restart Internet Explorer.

    If disabling 3rd party extensions solves the problem, the problem is with a
    malware Browser Helper Object [BHO]. Use ToolbarCop and spot the malware BHO
    causing the problem.

    Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    (or)

    BHODaemon - disable unwanted browser helper plugins:
    http://www.webattack.com/get/bhodaemon.shtml

    See also:

    Can't access Windows Explorer, Control Panel et al.
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=13574&view=previous
    </quote>

    --

    > Thank you for the reply, but I cannot open the link. I get the message I
    > posted about when I try. Could you paste it?
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> One of the add-ons is probably causing this. See:
    >> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21506092.html
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "NotYou" <not@you.com> wrote in message
    >>> This just started to happen today, worked fine yesterday. I try to open
    >>> explorer, from desktop or an email link and get this message:
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime library
    >>>
    >>> Runtime Error!
    >>>
    >>> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    >>>
    >>> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
    >>> unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more info.
    >>>
    >>> XP does not try to send an error message, like it does when something
    >>> crashes.
    >>>
    >>> I tried a system restore to yesterday but that didn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Thought I'd try here for any suggestions before restoring any earlier.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help!

    Thank you very much! I will download the Toolbar Cop now!

    > <quote from my post>
    > To determine if an IE plugin is causing the crash, first, disable the tool
    > bands and Browser Helper Objects features:
    >
    > 1. Click Start, Run, type Control Inetcpl.cpl.
    > 2. Click the Advanced tab.
    > 3. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser
    > extensions (requires restart) check box.
    > 4. Restart Internet Explorer.
    >
    > If disabling 3rd party extensions solves the problem, the problem is with
    > a malware Browser Helper Object [BHO]. Use ToolbarCop and spot the malware
    > BHO causing the problem.
    >
    > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
    >
    > (or)
    >
    > BHODaemon - disable unwanted browser helper plugins:
    > http://www.webattack.com/get/bhodaemon.shtml
    >
    > See also:
    >
    > Can't access Windows Explorer, Control Panel et al.
    > http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=13574&view=previous
    > </quote>
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "NotYou" <not@you.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you for the reply, but I cannot open the link. I get the message I
    >> posted about when I try. Could you paste it?
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> One of the add-ons is probably causing this. See:
    >>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21506092.html
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "NotYou" <not@you.com> wrote in message

Internet Explorer Runtime Microsoft Windows XP