Driven over to ATI, but which one ?

Yode

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2001
Hey,
Nvidian stability problems have driven me to get a ATI Radeon, but I cant decide which one to get. The all in wonder 32mbddr (is the 64mb ddr for this coming out soon??), this seems like a very good card and through pricewatch only 160 Us dollars, or the radeon 64MB DDR? Will you notice a big difference at 32mb? or is all the extras on the all in wonder worth it? Let me know!
thanks in advance
Yode

G

nvidia stability problems? I haven't had stability problems with either (even Radeon 64DDR in win2k), but I hear about more stability problems with Radeon than Geforce. Anyway, you decide whether you need the AIW Radeon. I am not sure about the features, doesn't it have a video capture so you can watch TV and stuff on your computer? If you need these features then get it. If not, go for the 64DDR, especially the SE version, which if you are lucky and get it, is suppose to be pretty fast. Makes me want one, and I got an Ultra.
deez

G

You could of course get a Radeon 64MB VIVO, which lacks only the TV tuner and I think the S-Video connections. Check it out anyway, it's a good option if gaming is #1 and video #2. The Radeon did have shitty drivers for 2000, but they work fine now (for me at least), and they are updating quite regularily, check www.rage3d.com.

good luck

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get the All-In-wonder if you like TV, or the Radeon 64DDR VIVO if you want all the features of the AIW except the tuner. The extra 32MB is a nice feature but not a necessity for current games.

Video killed my Radio Card!

Yode

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2001
Is that all the VIVO doesn't have, the tuner? With the VIVO would I still be able to watch DVD's on TV screen using the DVD player in my comp? If you could let me know that would be great becuase I think I am going to by the VIVO tomorow morning if you are able to do this otherwise I will get the AIW! Thanks
Yode

G

You don't even need the VIVO to watch DVD from the player in your comp, it is already in there! What it does is let you hook up other stuff and watch it on your comp.
deez

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it has both composite and S-Video connectors, and they can be used SIMULTANIOUSLY! That means you can watch it on TWO televisions and the monitor AT THE SAME TIME!

The S-Video signal is cleaner, but the Composite comes in handy if your TV does not have an S-Video connector.

I bought the Redeon LE TVO for exactly the same reason-it has the same PCB and outputs as the Radeon 64MB Vivo, but half the memory, no video in, and cheaper.

The Radeon 64MB VIVO is the best choice for what your doing, the LE TVO a cheaper alternative.

Video killed my Radio Card!

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
No the AIW also has digital Coaxial Output so you can hook up you Radeon and listen to the DVD's through a Digital Surround Sound Receiver. It also has sound bipass, something that I don't know if the VIVO has. I have been running the AIW for about 2 months and it has been a wonderfull investment. Oh, and the cheaper 170 model online is the OEM modle, which deoesn't have any games or video editing software on it. It does have a standard 3 year warrentee however and all the drivers and ATI Players necessary to run its features.

If it works for you then don't fix it.