Norton Anti-Virus Updates

One other problem I have with my office computer is that I have Norton
Anti-Virus 2005 Pro installed and ever since updating to SP2 Live Update
does not down load most of the available updates. I recieve the error
message in Norton and click on details and it refers to Windows XP SP2
5.something or other (I'm home not there) I've removed and re-installed
Anti-Virus, and have the same problem. I consulted Nortons knowledge base
found some recommendations, but the problem still happens. Any advice would
be greatly appreciated...
--
Sincerely,
John

"Once you eliminate the impossible whatever remains
no matter how improbable must be the truth."
10 answers Last reply
More about norton anti virus updates

    John thought and wrote:

    > One other problem I have with my office computer is that I have Norton
    > Anti-Virus 2005 Pro installed and ever since updating to SP2 Live Update
    > does not down load most of the available updates. I recieve the error
    > message in Norton and click on details and it refers to Windows XP SP2
    > 5.something or other (I'm home not there) I've removed and re-installed
    > Anti-Virus, and have the same problem. I consulted Nortons knowledge base
    > found some recommendations, but the problem still happens. Any advice
    > would be greatly appreciated...

    Search the Symantec website for a tool called 'SymNRT'. This will completely
    remove Norton and some other Symantec products. Then try to reinstall one
    more time.

    --
    William

    said ...
    > John thought and wrote:
    >
    > > One other problem I have with my office computer is that I have Norton
    > > Anti-Virus 2005 Pro installed and ever since updating to SP2 Live Update
    > > does not down load most of the available updates. I recieve the error
    > > message in Norton and click on details and it refers to Windows XP SP2
    > > 5.something or other (I'm home not there) I've removed and re-installed
    > > Anti-Virus, and have the same problem. I consulted Nortons knowledge base
    > > found some recommendations, but the problem still happens. Any advice
    > > would be greatly appreciated...
    >
    > Search the Symantec website for a tool called 'SymNRT'. This will completely
    > remove Norton and some other Symantec products. Then try to reinstall one
    > more time.

    I have also been having problems with Norton in that, for various
    reasona having uninstalled (and used SymNRT) NIS and then reinstalled, I
    have found that I keep getting LU1806/LU1812 "Subscription client
    update" error when I run liveupdate. It downloads a 1.4M update for the
    subscription client and then fails to install it. I have removed NIS
    from my PC twice now but get the same problem after reinstalling. Any
    ideas? The help available on Symantec's site on this subject doesn't
    fix it.
    --
    Sam

    Sam thought and wrote:

    > said ...
    >> John thought and wrote:
    >>
    >> > One other problem I have with my office computer is that I have Norton
    >> > Anti-Virus 2005 Pro installed and ever since updating to SP2 Live
    >> > Update does not down load most of the available updates. I recieve the
    >> > error message in Norton and click on details and it refers to Windows
    >> > XP SP2 5.something or other (I'm home not there) I've removed and
    >> > re-installed Anti-Virus, and have the same problem. I consulted Nortons
    >> > knowledge base found some recommendations, but the problem still
    >> > happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
    >>
    >> Search the Symantec website for a tool called 'SymNRT'. This will
    >> completely remove Norton and some other Symantec products. Then try to
    >> reinstall one more time.
    >>

    > I have also been having problems with Norton in that, for various
    > reasona having uninstalled (and used SymNRT) NIS and then reinstalled, I
    > have found that I keep getting LU1806/LU1812 "Subscription client
    > update" error when I run liveupdate. It downloads a 1.4M update for the
    > subscription client and then fails to install it. I have removed NIS
    > from my PC twice now but get the same problem after reinstalling. Any
    > ideas? The help available on Symantec's site on this subject doesn't
    > fix it.

    Have you tried this article?

    LiveUpdate fails to install updates
    http://tinyurl.com/bw6u3

    --
    William

    William said ...
    > Have you tried this article?
    >
    > LiveUpdate fails to install updates
    > http://tinyurl.com/bw6u3

    No, I hadn't done that specifically - I'll give it a try. Thanks.
    --
    Sam

    Sam thought and wrote:

    > William said ...
    >> Have you tried this article?
    >>
    >> LiveUpdate fails to install updates
    >> http://tinyurl.com/bw6u3
    >>
    > No, I hadn't done that specifically - I'll give it a try. Thanks.

    Hope it works out for you.

    --
    William

    said ...
    > Sam thought and wrote:
    >
    > > William said ...
    > >> Have you tried this article?
    > >>
    > >> LiveUpdate fails to install updates
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/bw6u3
    > >>
    > > No, I hadn't done that specifically - I'll give it a try. Thanks.
    >
    > Hope it works out for you.

    I completely uninstalled NIS and tried to wipe as many registry
    references to symantec etc. before reinstalling. Then only installed
    program updates - same problem. I have un-installed again :-(
    --
    Sam

    Sam thought and wrote:

    > said ...
    >> Sam thought and wrote:
    >>
    >> > William said ...

    >> > No, I hadn't done that specifically - I'll give it a try. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Hope it works out for you.
    >>

    > I completely uninstalled NIS and tried to wipe as many registry
    > references to symantec etc. before reinstalling. Then only installed
    > program updates - same problem. I have un-installed again :-(

    Is LiveUpdate connecting to the Internet? Do you have NIS installed or just
    NAV?

    --
    William

    said ...
    > Sam thought and wrote:
    >
    > > said ...

    > >> Hope it works out for you.
    > >>

    > > I completely uninstalled NIS and tried to wipe as many registry
    > > references to symantec etc. before reinstalling. Then only installed
    > > program updates - same problem. I have un-installed again :-(
    >
    > Is LiveUpdate connecting to the Internet? Do you have NIS installed or just
    > NAV?

    I have now uninstalled again, but I have NIS2004. I completely (as far
    as you can) removed NIS using SymNRT.exe and also downloaded the latest
    version of LiveUpdate before re-installing. However, this did not solve
    my problem. LU is connecting and downloading all it can. However, it
    fails to install an update (which it HAS downloaded) for subscription
    manager no matter how many times I try to re-do that.
    --
    Sam

    "Sam" <sam.sam@samsam.com> wrote in message
    > said ...
    >> Sam thought and wrote:
    >>
    >> > said ...

    >> > I completely uninstalled NIS and tried to wipe as many registry
    >> > references to symantec etc. before reinstalling. Then only installed
    >> > program updates - same problem. I have un-installed again :-(
    >>
    >> Is LiveUpdate connecting to the Internet? Do you have NIS installed or
    >> just
    >> NAV?
    >>

    > I have now uninstalled again, but I have NIS2004. I completely (as far
    > as you can) removed NIS using SymNRT.exe and also downloaded the latest
    > version of LiveUpdate before re-installing. However, this did not solve
    > my problem. LU is connecting and downloading all it can. However, it
    > fails to install an update (which it HAS downloaded) for subscription
    > manager no matter how many times I try to re-do that.

    I think this may be a permission issue, could you create a temporary
    administrative account and try to run LiveUpdate from the new administrator
    account?

    --
    William

    said ...
    > "Sam" <sam.sam@samsam.com> wrote in message
    > > said ...

    > >> Is LiveUpdate connecting to the Internet? Do you have NIS installed or
    > >> just
    > >> NAV?
    > >>

    > > I have now uninstalled again, but I have NIS2004. I completely (as far
    > > as you can) removed NIS using SymNRT.exe and also downloaded the latest
    > > version of LiveUpdate before re-installing. However, this did not solve
    > > my problem. LU is connecting and downloading all it can. However, it
    > > fails to install an update (which it HAS downloaded) for subscription
    > > manager no matter how many times I try to re-do that.
    >
    > I think this may be a permission issue, could you create a temporary
    > administrative account and try to run LiveUpdate from the new administrator
    > account?

    I am running from an admin account. Actually, I have just fixed the
    problem by following advice at
    http://robert.accettura.com/archives/2005/06/20/symantec-live-update-
    fun/#comment-4388

    .... in case it helps anyone else. Seems to be a known problem.
    --
    Sam

Norton Antivirus Windows XP