Fugly, critter killing, *and* DRM enabled

OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
feeling is setting in... sniffle.

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

The latest box on the block is the 9100. The only downside I see about this
system is the built in sound card.

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
> just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:
>
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
> 8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
> I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
> feeling is setting in... sniffle.

In article <KNGdnc_jusdDOATfRVn-iA@comcast.com>, usern@invalid.invalid
says...

> OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
> just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:
>
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
> 8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
> I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
> feeling is setting in... sniffle.

I suspect that, once end users and admins realize how restrictive
and open to abuse this hardware is, it's probably going to get boycotted
in droves, especially if Intel remains secretive about it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy ANY hardware that had these "features"
simply on general principles. I will NOT be treated like some rowdy
sixth-grader, told by some anonymous third party what I can or cannot do
with hardware and software that I've bought and paid for.

My advice to others worried about this type of thing is not to buy
the new CPU, or the hardware that supports it. Look for, and purchase
systems that are not tied down, electronically speaking.

Better yet, build your own system out of components that YOU
choose, no matter if they come from the new or used arena.

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
> just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:
>
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
> 8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
> I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
> feeling is setting in... sniffle.

That's an interesting article, but I guess nobody knows the details or
specific implications. A few years ago when CPUs began to get individual
serial numbers, there were similar concerns, but it seems to have worked out
okay. Ditto for the "V-Chip". Yes, as machines get smarter and smarter, we
need to worry that our own tools are in fact serving another master. That's
a worrisome scenario, but I doubt we can avoid it by living in the past. The
old PCs which are too dumb to betray us will shortly have fallen so far
behind the curve that they'll be out of touch. No choice but to dive in and
try to ride the wave.

"Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
> > just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:
> >
> > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
> >
> > Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
> > 8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
> > I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
> > feeling is setting in... sniffle.
>
> That's an interesting article, but I guess nobody knows the details or
> specific implications. A few years ago when CPUs began to get individual
> serial numbers, there were similar concerns, but it seems to have worked
out
> okay. Ditto for the "V-Chip". Yes, as machines get smarter and smarter, we
> need to worry that our own tools are in fact serving another master.
That's
> a worrisome scenario, but I doubt we can avoid it by living in the past.
The
> old PCs which are too dumb to betray us will shortly have fallen so far
> behind the curve that they'll be out of touch. No choice but to dive in
and
> try to ride the wave.

didn't the Pentium serial number get disabled and ultimately canned after it
became public?

"snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message

> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
>> > just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:
>> >
>> > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>> >
>> > Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
>> > 8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
>> > I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
>> > feeling is setting in... sniffle.
>>
>> That's an interesting article, but I guess nobody knows the details or
>> specific implications. A few years ago when CPUs began to get individual
>> serial numbers, there were similar concerns, but it seems to have worked
> out
>> okay. Ditto for the "V-Chip". Yes, as machines get smarter and smarter,
>> we
>> need to worry that our own tools are in fact serving another master.
> That's
>> a worrisome scenario, but I doubt we can avoid it by living in the past.
> The
>> old PCs which are too dumb to betray us will shortly have fallen so far
>> behind the curve that they'll be out of touch. No choice but to dive in
> and
>> try to ride the wave.
>
> didn't the Pentium serial number get disabled and ultimately canned after
> it
> became public?

Most mfrs disabled the function by default. It was/is still there on many
PIII systems, but it has to be enabled in most cases.

Stew

If this article is indeed true then I guess I will be buying no more Intel
processors or chipsets or systems that contain them. The DRM is one thing
but the other abilities will allow others potential control/access toyour
system and I doubt it'll be with your consent.

Darn. And I was ready to pull the trigger on an Intel stock purchase.
Might want to go short now.

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
> just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:
>
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
> 8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
> I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
> feeling is setting in... sniffle.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:25:40 GMT, "Talkin Horse"
<davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
>> just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:
>>
>> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>>
>> Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
>> 8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
>> I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
>> feeling is setting in... sniffle.
>
>That's an interesting article, but I guess nobody knows the details or
>specific implications. A few years ago when CPUs began to get individual
>serial numbers, there were similar concerns, but it seems to have worked out
>okay. Ditto for the "V-Chip". Yes, as machines get smarter and smarter, we
>need to worry that our own tools are in fact serving another master. That's
>a worrisome scenario, but I doubt we can avoid it by living in the past. The
>old PCs which are too dumb to betray us will shortly have fallen so far
>behind the curve that they'll be out of touch. No choice but to dive in and
>try to ride the wave.

The other alternative is not to buy Intel anymore.

Bob

"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:25:40 GMT, "Talkin Horse"
> <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> OK, I don't really know if it can kill little critters. Maybe it will
>>> just annoy them to death with DRM restrictions:
>>>
>>> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>>>
>>> Yeah, I'm a little annoyed, sorry. I just can't warm up to the 4700,
>>> 8400, or XPS and was SO hoping the next box would thrill me.
>>> I've been sitting behind Dells for over a decade and now a sinking
>>> feeling is setting in... sniffle.
>>
>>That's an interesting article, but I guess nobody knows the details or
>>specific implications. A few years ago when CPUs began to get individual
>>serial numbers, there were similar concerns, but it seems to have worked
>>out
>>okay. Ditto for the "V-Chip". Yes, as machines get smarter and smarter, we
>>need to worry that our own tools are in fact serving another master.
>>That's
>>a worrisome scenario, but I doubt we can avoid it by living in the past.
>>The
>>old PCs which are too dumb to betray us will shortly have fallen so far
>>behind the curve that they'll be out of touch. No choice but to dive in
>>and
>>try to ride the wave.
>>

> The other alternative is not to buy Intel anymore.
>
> Bob

AMD chips with alternative chipsets (other than Intel) are certainly an
option. If these changes on the new chipsets prove
intrusive/unmanageable/vulnerable, it could cost Intel dearly from more than
one direction.....

Stew

"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:pamk91ltngptls66itn6oc10baor1150c1@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:25:40 GMT, "Talkin Horse"
> <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> [] No choice but to dive in and try to ride the wave.
>
> The other alternative is not to buy Intel anymore.

While non-DRMed hardware solutions may continue to exist for awhile,
they won't necessarily exist forever. Once a good portion of machines
have the hardware support (I suspect the 9100 will sell well, and it may
very well be that a year from now *all* mainstream Intel based systems
will be equipped with DRM hardware support) and once a good portion
of machines have the software support (not familiar with XP's capabilities,
but I assume Longhorn will have related enhancements which might even
be backported) then application support becomes a practical option.
Should just a few popular applications come to require a fully DRMed
box, let alone if Windows ever comes to require it, then any hardware
companies which were holding out will find themselves in a rather difficult
position.

That's if there are any holdouts. Ask alot of people who is pushing DRM
and they'll say the MPAA & RIAA. They've been vigorous promoters,
but that barely scratches the surface. Hardware and software companies
are actually some of the biggest promoters too. For example:

https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/about/members/

It may be that the best alternative to bending over is [F]OSS. Particularly
if, as I suspect, DRM enhancements help usher in software as a service.
I for one do NOT look forward to having to pay a couple hundred bucks
every year just to use the applications I currently use.

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:ioednVYFDbdUMgffRVn-iA@comcast.com...

> It may be that the best alternative to bending over is [F]OSS. Particularly
> if, as I suspect, DRM enhancements help usher in software as a service.
> I for one do NOT look forward to having to pay a couple hundred bucks