Change Drive letters assigned to hard drives and partitions

I had to reinstall WinXP Home by Quick Formatting the C partition on a the
master drive, which has two partitions. The slave hard drive has only one
partion. When WinXP was reinstalled it assigned C to the boot, D to the
second hard drive and E to the second partion on the boot drive.

Can I reassign the drive letters by disconnecting the slave hard drive and
rebooting, and then (shutdown) reconnecting the slave hard drive? The drives
are configured as master/slave by the jumpers.

Assuming this is feasible, will the DVD and CD RW drive be listed after the
hard drives or should they be disconnected as well?

The C: boot drive contains all of the programs. The other partitions are
documents or media.

Arne
2 answers Last reply
More about change drive letters assigned hard drives partitions

    Arne

    Go to this website and follow instructions..

    http://www.dougknox.com/tips/xp_drive_letters.htm

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had to reinstall WinXP Home by Quick Formatting the C partition on a the
    > master drive, which has two partitions. The slave hard drive has only one
    > partion. When WinXP was reinstalled it assigned C to the boot, D to the
    > second hard drive and E to the second partion on the boot drive.
    >
    > Can I reassign the drive letters by disconnecting the slave hard drive and
    > rebooting, and then (shutdown) reconnecting the slave hard drive? The
    > drives
    > are configured as master/slave by the jumpers.
    >
    > Assuming this is feasible, will the DVD and CD RW drive be listed after
    > the
    > hard drives or should they be disconnected as well?
    >
    > The C: boot drive contains all of the programs. The other partitions are
    > documents or media.
    >
    > Arne

    Thank you, much easier than expected.

    Arne

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Arne
    >
    > Go to this website and follow instructions..
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/tips/xp_drive_letters.htm
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I had to reinstall WinXP Home by Quick Formatting the C partition on a the
    > > master drive, which has two partitions. The slave hard drive has only one
    > > partion. When WinXP was reinstalled it assigned C to the boot, D to the
    > > second hard drive and E to the second partion on the boot drive.
    > >
    > > Can I reassign the drive letters by disconnecting the slave hard drive and
    > > rebooting, and then (shutdown) reconnecting the slave hard drive? The
    > > drives
    > > are configured as master/slave by the jumpers.
    > >
    > > Assuming this is feasible, will the DVD and CD RW drive be listed after
    > > the
    > > hard drives or should they be disconnected as well?
    > >
    > > The C: boot drive contains all of the programs. The other partitions are
    > > documents or media.
    > >
    > > Arne

Hard Drives Windows XP