Hard drive not available?

Something really recently hosed up my computer. I could not boot into it,
even on Safe Mode. I had to reformat & reinstall Windows. Possibly Lucky
for me I had been backing up my data to my D drive. I've always been able to
restore my data in the past when similar events have occured. It is a
completely seperate drive, not just partitioned.

In Computer Management section of Admin tools, the drive is listed as
"active" and "healthy". However, it doesn't have drive letter associated
with it like my DVD drives do.

I REALLY need the data from that drive for restore purposes.... What am I
missing?

Thanks!!!
Dan
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive available

    Hi Dan if I understand you correctly just go to Control Panel-Administrative
    Tools-Computer Management-finally Disk management, which you will find under
    storage. Click on your D: drive follwed by a right click. In the menu select
    drive letter and path, click change and you can then select a drive letter
    from the pull down menu. Then just reboot

    Chelsea

    "DanCheri" <DanCheri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Something really recently hosed up my computer. I could not boot into it,
    > even on Safe Mode. I had to reformat & reinstall Windows. Possibly Lucky
    > for me I had been backing up my data to my D drive. I've always been able
    > restore my data in the past when similar events have occured. It is a
    > completely seperate drive, not just partitioned.
    >
    > In Computer Management section of Admin tools, the drive is listed as
    > "active" and "healthy". However, it doesn't have drive letter associated
    > with it like my DVD drives do.
    >
    > I REALLY need the data from that drive for restore purposes.... What am I
    > missing?
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    > Dan

    I have done that, however there are only 2 options available to me: Delete
    Partition or Help.

    Thanks for trying!!!
    Dan

    "Chelsea" wrote:

    > Hi Dan if I understand you correctly just go to Control Panel-Administrative
    > Tools-Computer Management-finally Disk management, which you will find under
    > storage. Click on your D: drive follwed by a right click. In the menu select
    > drive letter and path, click change and you can then select a drive letter
    > from the pull down menu. Then just reboot
    >
    > Chelsea
    >
    > "DanCheri" <DanCheri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Something really recently hosed up my computer. I could not boot into it,
    > > even on Safe Mode. I had to reformat & reinstall Windows. Possibly Lucky
    > > for me I had been backing up my data to my D drive. I've always been able
    > > restore my data in the past when similar events have occured. It is a
    > > completely seperate drive, not just partitioned.
    > >
    > > In Computer Management section of Admin tools, the drive is listed as
    > > "active" and "healthy". However, it doesn't have drive letter associated
    > > with it like my DVD drives do.
    > >
    > > I REALLY need the data from that drive for restore purposes.... What am I
    > > missing?
    > >
    > > Thanks!!!
    > > Dan

    Hate to crash your thread, but I have the exact same problem.
    C'mon, where are the brainiacs with all the answers?
    On a sidenote, if I needed to format and partition the disk again in order
    to fix the problem, would Partition Magic alow me to save my data?

    Dan

    "DanCheri" wrote:

    > Something really recently hosed up my computer. I could not boot into it,
    > even on Safe Mode. I had to reformat & reinstall Windows. Possibly Lucky
    > for me I had been backing up my data to my D drive. I've always been able to
    > restore my data in the past when similar events have occured. It is a
    > completely seperate drive, not just partitioned.
    >
    > In Computer Management section of Admin tools, the drive is listed as
    > "active" and "healthy". However, it doesn't have drive letter associated
    > with it like my DVD drives do.
    >
    > I REALLY need the data from that drive for restore purposes.... What am I
    > missing?
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    > Dan

    I have the same problem. I was running XP home from my primary hard drive.
    I did a new install of XP pro to my primary drive and made no changes to my
    secondary drive. Now XP pro is not recognizing my secondary drive in the
    same way as described. I also do not want to loose the data on my secondary
    drive.

    "FR8KCKR" wrote:

    > Hate to crash your thread, but I have the exact same problem.
    > C'mon, where are the brainiacs with all the answers?
    > On a sidenote, if I needed to format and partition the disk again in order
    > to fix the problem, would Partition Magic alow me to save my data?
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > "DanCheri" wrote:
    >
    > > Something really recently hosed up my computer. I could not boot into it,
    > > even on Safe Mode. I had to reformat & reinstall Windows. Possibly Lucky
    > > for me I had been backing up my data to my D drive. I've always been able to
    > > restore my data in the past when similar events have occured. It is a
    > > completely seperate drive, not just partitioned.
    > >
    > > In Computer Management section of Admin tools, the drive is listed as
    > > "active" and "healthy". However, it doesn't have drive letter associated
    > > with it like my DVD drives do.
    > >
    > > I REALLY need the data from that drive for restore purposes.... What am I
    > > missing?
    > >
    > > Thanks!!!
    > > Dan

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP