Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is it possible to upgrade lenovo y580 GPU?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 3, 2013 2:13:47 PM

Hello, I just recently bought this laptop about 2 months ago and it is actually pretty good! I'm able to do a lot and play a lot of different games no problems. My question is simple however...

Is it possible to upgrade the GPU of this laptop to something better than the GTX 660M?

After being on here, I found out I could upgrade the RAM past 8gb, and now I am looking at upgrading the GPU...
February 3, 2013 2:31:07 PM

Most laptops have processors and GPU's soldered to the motherboard. So you will most likely not be able to replace it. Very few have replaceable parts, and those that do usually advertise the ability and cost a ton more. RAM and Hard Drive/SSD is about all you can ever expect to upgrade in a laptop, and in some cases even those are becoming more permanent/proprietary.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2013 3:35:26 PM

Laptop cpus are usually not soldered however the gpus usually are(as is the case with the y580). Ram and hdd being permanent/proprietary? Only on a very few ultrabooks will the ssd be a proprietary form factor because of the thin form factor. But not ram. Can you even show one that is permanent?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2013 6:42:09 PM

y580 has a soldered gpu so you will not be able to upgrade it.

If you really want more performance out of it, you can try overclocking your gpu.

650/660 overclocks really well and does not produce much heat (temps stay the same).

You should easily be able to reach the maxmum oc under MSI afterburner (there is no point overclocking vram on the 660m)
m
0
l
a c 433 D Laptop
February 3, 2013 11:32:57 PM

Nope.

Only specific gaming laptop models that costs at the very least $1,500+ can potentially allow you to replace the graphic card. You need to do research though 'cause even a $2,200 gaming laptop may not have that capability.

Lastly, laptop graphic cards are hard to find and very expensive because they are generally only sold to system builders. In other words..... ebay...
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 4:36:03 AM

Even if you could, you probably shouldn't. Laptops are designed to handle the thermal load of their very specific components. Replacing stuff or aggressively overclocking runs the risk of throwing off that sometimes-delicate balance. Now, I'm not saying don't ever overclock you laptop, but do it slowly and deliberately, testing every step of the way. It's much easier to damage and much harder to repair than a desktop.
m
0
l
February 7, 2013 8:58:22 AM

no, your 660m is soldered on
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 1:03:26 PM

whyso said:
y580 has a soldered gpu so you will not be able to upgrade it.

If you really want more performance out of it, you can try overclocking your gpu.

650/660 overclocks really well and does not produce much heat (temps stay the same).

You should easily be able to reach the maxmum oc under MSI afterburner (there is no point overclocking vram on the 660m)


u do relize that the gtx660m in removeable right .....look on ebay gt means soldered an the gtx means removeable im pretty shure...

m
0
l
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2013 1:52:25 PM

13bcliff said:
whyso said:
y580 has a soldered gpu so you will not be able to upgrade it.

If you really want more performance out of it, you can try overclocking your gpu.

650/660 overclocks really well and does not produce much heat (temps stay the same).

You should easily be able to reach the maxmum oc under MSI afterburner (there is no point overclocking vram on the 660m)


u do relize that the gtx660m in removeable right .....look on ebay gt means soldered an the gtx means removeable im pretty shure...



No its not removable.
m
0
l
May 3, 2013 2:27:33 PM

It might be possible on some laptops, especially high-end gaming units. However, the GPUs are generally soldered onto the board, and not upgradable.

For example, you can technically remove the GTX660M graphics card in our G75VW gaming units. However, it will only fit in another G75 unit. Companies do not make 'universal" fit cards for laptops.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2013 8:15:33 PM

Asus_USA said:
It might be possible on some laptops, especially high-end gaming units. However, the GPUs are generally soldered onto the board, and not upgradable.

For example, you can technically remove the GTX660M graphics card in our G75VW gaming units. However, it will only fit in another G75 unit. Companies do not make 'universal" fit cards for laptops.


generally yes, the exception is the MXM module which the y580 does not have.
m
0
l
September 14, 2013 10:50:02 AM

the lenovo y580 has two
graphics card nvidia geforce gtx 660m and intel hd 4000 you cant upgrade your graphics card if you try the laptop can be damage you have a nvidia geforce gtx 660m you can play any game in high setting
m
0
l
!