Re New hard drive cloning

August 7, 2005 11:21:13 AM

I have a 10 gig hard drive, upgraded to a 120 gig hard drive.
I have used Western Digital clonse hard drive. On the new hard
drive, the windows xp boots up. How ever, there is no logon names
to log into the windows xp (home edition). Not even a chance to ask
for a activation, code or anything, just sits there.

Any answer to this is welcome.
(1) Yes, I am legit Windows XP user on one computer.
(2) Only on one computer.

Thanks. Capital two.

More about : hard drive cloning

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:22:50 PM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 07:21:13 -0700, Capital Two wrote:

> I have a 10 gig hard drive, upgraded to a 120 gig hard drive.
> I have used Western Digital clonse hard drive. On the new hard
> drive, the windows xp boots up. How ever, there is no logon names
> to log into the windows xp (home edition). Not even a chance to ask
> for a activation, code or anything, just sits there.
>
> Any answer to this is welcome.
> (1) Yes, I am legit Windows XP user on one computer.
> (2) Only on one computer.
>
> Thanks. Capital two.

Tried logging on with the builtin Administrator account yet? If XP Pro,
press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the welcome screen and type in Administrator
and the password. If this is XP Home, boot to Safe Mode.

Other thoughts...
Did Windows boot okay from the 10GB hard drive? (I'm a little concerned
about no users on the welcome screen since this is often a symptom caused
by malware.) Have you considered leaving the 10GB in place and using the
second hard drive for installing programs and storing data?

If the 120GB hard drive is faster than the 10GB hard drive (check specs), I
could see wanting to make it the primary drive. However, XP is booting but
not working correctly. Either the WD software slipped up somewhere or the
XP install was not quite stable to begin with.

Did you use the most current version of WD tools available? The ones on the
CD are not always the most current. Checking WD's site for a newer version
and running those might be a worthwhile effort.

Another option would be to run a repair install on the existing XP:
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User