Using UPS via USB connection

I have a backup UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) Battery from Tripplite
that connects to my pc via USB line. Under Admin/UPS area of Control Panel I
am only given option to configure the OS using COM1 port, not USB directly.
Is there a workaround?

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 08:05:02 -0700, dory wrote:

> I have a backup UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) Battery from Tripplite
> that connects to my pc via USB line. Under Admin/UPS area of Control Panel I
> am only given option to configure the OS using COM1 port, not USB directly.
> Is there a workaround?

The XP control panel applet focuses on UPS units that connect via the
serial port and it does not interact with all brands. Also, this is one
area where XP is showing its age as it is now very common to find UPS
fitted for USB connections.

Does the manufacturer offer software? The software will perform the same
basics provided in the XP control panel applet and then some. And it will
be able to communicate with the device over the USB ports.

Or you can opt to use no software/no control panel applet. When power goes
out, the battery will sustain main components for x amount of time.
Downside: This is workable if someone is around to manually save open
files, close programs and manually shutdown the computer.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User