Unable to delete folder -- "is being used by.."

Running XP Pro, fully updated (I think).

At times (I haven't been able to trigger this intentionally) when I try
to delete or rename a folder from Windows Explorer I get the following:

Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete xxx: It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

But, there ARE no other programs open, at least none shown in the Task
Manager. The folder is owned by me, and the entire disk has full
control checked for "Everyone".

Closing and reopening Windows Explorer doesn't seem to help. Sometimes
rebooting the machine does, other times the folder remains "stuck on the
disk" for some time, then, as mysteriously, becomes deletable.

What am I missing???

Cyril N. Alberga
3 answers Last reply
More about unable delete folder

    "Cyril N. Alberga" <calberga@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
    > Running XP Pro, fully updated (I think).
    >
    > At times (I haven't been able to trigger this intentionally) when I try to
    > delete or rename a folder from Windows Explorer I get the following:
    >
    > Error Deleting File or Folder
    > Cannot delete xxx: It is being used by another person or program.
    > Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.
    >
    > But, there ARE no other programs open, at least none shown in the Task
    > Manager. The folder is owned by me, and the entire disk has full control
    > checked for "Everyone".
    >
    > Closing and reopening Windows Explorer doesn't seem to help. Sometimes
    > rebooting the machine does, other times the folder remains "stuck on the
    > disk" for some time, then, as mysteriously, becomes deletable.
    >
    > What am I missing???
    >
    > Cyril N. Alberga

    Download a free program that will delete it on the next boot.
    Get it here: http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

    Nog wrote:

    > "Cyril N. Alberga" <calberga@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Running XP Pro, fully updated (I think).
    >>
    >>At times (I haven't been able to trigger this intentionally) when I try to
    >>delete or rename a folder from Windows Explorer I get the following:
    >>
    >>Error Deleting File or Folder
    >>Cannot delete xxx: It is being used by another person or program.
    >>Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.
    >>
    >>But, there ARE no other programs open, at least none shown in the Task
    >>Manager. The folder is owned by me, and the entire disk has full control
    >>checked for "Everyone".
    >>
    >>Closing and reopening Windows Explorer doesn't seem to help. Sometimes
    >>rebooting the machine does, other times the folder remains "stuck on the
    >>disk" for some time, then, as mysteriously, becomes deletable.
    >>
    >>What am I missing???
    >>
    >>Cyril N. Alberga
    >

    > Download a free program that will delete it on the next boot.
    > Get it here: http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

    I can delete it on the next boot myself, but that sort of going after a
    gnat with a sledgehammer. Besides, while I used delete as my example,
    it is renaming that most often trips me up. The question isn't how to
    do a work-around, it is why is this happening and how do I prevent it.

    Cyril N. Alberga

    You will never find an answer to that question that will satisfy you.

    > Nog wrote:
    >
    >> "Cyril N. Alberga" <calberga@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Running XP Pro, fully updated (I think).
    >>>
    >>>At times (I haven't been able to trigger this intentionally) when I try
    >>>to delete or rename a folder from Windows Explorer I get the following:
    >>>
    >>>Error Deleting File or Folder
    >>>Cannot delete xxx: It is being used by another person or program.
    >>>Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.
    >>>
    >>>But, there ARE no other programs open, at least none shown in the Task
    >>>Manager. The folder is owned by me, and the entire disk has full control
    >>>checked for "Everyone".
    >>>
    >>>Closing and reopening Windows Explorer doesn't seem to help. Sometimes
    >>>rebooting the machine does, other times the folder remains "stuck on the
    >>>disk" for some time, then, as mysteriously, becomes deletable.
    >>>
    >>>What am I missing???
    >>>
    >>>Cyril N. Alberga
    >>

    >> Download a free program that will delete it on the next boot.
    >> Get it here: http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
    >>

    > I can delete it on the next boot myself, but that sort of going after a
    > gnat with a sledgehammer. Besides, while I used delete as my example, it
    > is renaming that most often trips me up. The question isn't how to do a
    > work-around, it is why is this happening and how do I prevent it.
    >
    > Cyril N. Alberga

Windows Explorer Windows XP