Dell wireless question

I just got a Inspiron 6000 with a 1370 wireless card built in to the laptop.
I have D-Link DI-614+ wireless router at home. The router is capable of
22mbps, but I can only connect 11mbps. It doesn't affect my internet
browsing, but it's pretty slow when transferring files between computers. My
buddy was over today with laptop, a Compaq with a Linksys wireless pc card.
He was able to connect @ 22mbps.

I have checked every setting I can find on the laptop and in windows, but I
can't seem to connect @ 22mbps....

Any ideas?
Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about dell wireless question

    Is it possible the 22 is a TURBO mode that the dell card does not support?
    If you are going to be doing lots of transfers you may want to look at anew
    router I purchased a belkin with a built in print server and have been very
    happy with it.
    Cost is minimal or free many times with rebates

    Wayne
    "Zip" <nomail@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a Inspiron 6000 with a 1370 wireless card built in to the
    >laptop.
    > I have D-Link DI-614+ wireless router at home. The router is capable of
    > 22mbps, but I can only connect 11mbps. It doesn't affect my internet
    > browsing, but it's pretty slow when transferring files between computers.
    > My
    > buddy was over today with laptop, a Compaq with a Linksys wireless pc
    > card.
    > He was able to connect @ 22mbps.
    >
    > I have checked every setting I can find on the laptop and in windows, but
    > can't seem to connect @ 22mbps....
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks

    The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you sure
    it is in G mode?

    22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you
    > sure it is in G mode?
    >
    > 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.
    >
    > Tom

    According to the D-Link website....the 614 is only capable of 22.
    http://tinyurl.com/2uoo4

    Anyhow....I think I'm going to just get a new router. I've been looking at
    the D-link 624 superG as a replacement. Advertised speed is 108mbps with a
    firmaware upgrade.

    40 bucks after rebates at CC
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/D-Link-Xtreme-G-802-11g-Wireless-Router-with-4-Port-Switch-DI-624-/sem/rpsm/oid/94743/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    Of course the 110 mode probably will not work with the built in wireless
    since the 110 speed is proprietary?

    wayne wrote:
    > 40 bucks after rebates at CC

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/D-Link-Xtreme-G-802-11g-Wireless-Router-with-4-Port-Switch-DI-624-/sem/rpsm/oid/94743/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    > Of course the 110 mode probably will not work with the built in
    > wireless since the 110 speed is proprietary?
    >
    > Wayne

    Thanks for the Link.....They also have the Linksys WRT54G for $39 after
    rebate.

    "Zip" <nomail@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you
    >> sure it is in G mode?
    >>
    >> 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >

    > According to the D-Link website....the 614 is only capable of 22.
    > http://tinyurl.com/2uoo4
    >
    > Anyhow....I think I'm going to just get a new router. I've been looking at
    > the D-link 624 superG as a replacement. Advertised speed is 108mbps with a
    > firmaware upgrade.

    Ah, I must have different model than I thought. So yes, 22mpbs is
    proprietary, which means it won't work with the internal card.

    Best to upgrade to a G router. The 108mpbs mentioned will not work with the
    internal card either -- it will max at 54.

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "Zip" <nomail@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    >> Tom Scales wrote:
    >>> The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are
    >>> you sure it is in G mode?
    >>>
    >>> 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo
    >>> mode.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>

    >> According to the D-Link website....the 614 is only capable of 22.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2uoo4
    >>
    >> Anyhow....I think I'm going to just get a new router. I've been
    >> looking at the D-link 624 superG as a replacement. Advertised speed
    >> is 108mbps with a firmaware upgrade.
    >>

    > Ah, I must have different model than I thought. So yes, 22mpbs is
    > proprietary, which means it won't work with the internal card.
    >
    > Best to upgrade to a G router. The 108mpbs mentioned will not work
    > with the internal card either -- it will max at 54.
    >
    > Tom

    Yep...been doing a bit of research on it. I think I'm going to get the
    Linksys WRT54G...and be happy with 54 mbps.

    Thanks for the help.....

    Zip wrote:

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    >>The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you
    >>sure it is in G mode?
    >>
    >>22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.
    >>
    >>Tom

    The DI-614+ was one of the first 802.11B routers to offer non-compliant
    turbo modes; the first version of it was released before 802.11G (I
    picked one up in early 2002). It requires a D-Link card capable of
    turbo mode, but I've never bothered to trying turbo mode. The way it's
    implemented is by channel banding, and it will cause interference for
    your neighbors even if they're on different channels.

    Personally I find it easier to walk over and plug in to the ethernet
    jack (it has 4 100baseT jacks) if I really need to transfer large files.
    802.11B is adequate for most purposes, heck I can stream MPEG4 video
    without lag across it if I use the right protocols.

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > Zip wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Scales wrote:
    >>
    >>> The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are
    >>> you sure it is in G mode?
    >>>
    >>> 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo
    >>> mode.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>

    > The DI-614+ was one of the first 802.11B routers to offer
    > non-compliant turbo modes; the first version of it was released
    > before 802.11G (I picked one up in early 2002). It requires a D-Link
    > card capable of turbo mode, but I've never bothered to trying turbo
    > mode. The way it's implemented is by channel banding, and it will
    > cause interference for your neighbors even if they're on different
    > channels.

    That would explain why I was getting "choppy" internet connections using
    that router with the new laptop. It still worked fine with the old laptop
    and D-link card.

    I'm happy to report that I went out and got the Linksys router yesterday,
    and all is working great!

Dell Wireless Laptops Connection Computers