Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell wireless question

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
May 29, 2005 7:28:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I just got a Inspiron 6000 with a 1370 wireless card built in to the laptop.
I have D-Link DI-614+ wireless router at home. The router is capable of
22mbps, but I can only connect 11mbps. It doesn't affect my internet
browsing, but it's pretty slow when transferring files between computers. My
buddy was over today with laptop, a Compaq with a Linksys wireless pc card.
He was able to connect @ 22mbps.

I have checked every setting I can find on the laptop and in windows, but I
can't seem to connect @ 22mbps....

Any ideas?
Thanks

More about : dell wireless question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 9:00:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Is it possible the 22 is a TURBO mode that the dell card does not support?
If you are going to be doing lots of transfers you may want to look at anew
router I purchased a belkin with a built in print server and have been very
happy with it.
Cost is minimal or free many times with rebates

Wayne
"Zip" <nomail@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:QKGdnSa0F4BkigffRVn-qg@adelphia.com...
>I just got a Inspiron 6000 with a 1370 wireless card built in to the
>laptop.
> I have D-Link DI-614+ wireless router at home. The router is capable of
> 22mbps, but I can only connect 11mbps. It doesn't affect my internet
> browsing, but it's pretty slow when transferring files between computers.
> My
> buddy was over today with laptop, a Compaq with a Linksys wireless pc
> card.
> He was able to connect @ 22mbps.
>
> I have checked every setting I can find on the laptop and in windows, but
> I
> can't seem to connect @ 22mbps....
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 4:34:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you sure
it is in G mode?

22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.

Tom
"wayne" <komon@dgdg.sss> wrote in message
news:UrSdnfMKCczh1AffRVn-pw@comcast.com...
> Is it possible the 22 is a TURBO mode that the dell card does not support?
> If you are going to be doing lots of transfers you may want to look at
> anew router I purchased a belkin with a built in print server and have
> been very happy with it.
> Cost is minimal or free many times with rebates
>
> Wayne
> "Zip" <nomail@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> news:QKGdnSa0F4BkigffRVn-qg@adelphia.com...
>>I just got a Inspiron 6000 with a 1370 wireless card built in to the
>>laptop.
>> I have D-Link DI-614+ wireless router at home. The router is capable of
>> 22mbps, but I can only connect 11mbps. It doesn't affect my internet
>> browsing, but it's pretty slow when transferring files between computers.
>> My
>> buddy was over today with laptop, a Compaq with a Linksys wireless pc
>> card.
>> He was able to connect @ 22mbps.
>>
>> I have checked every setting I can find on the laptop and in windows, but
>> I
>> can't seem to connect @ 22mbps....
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Thanks
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
May 30, 2005 11:49:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
> The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you
> sure it is in G mode?
>
> 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.
>
> Tom


According to the D-Link website....the 614 is only capable of 22.
http://tinyurl.com/2uoo4

Anyhow....I think I'm going to just get a new router. I've been looking at
the D-link 624 superG as a replacement. Advertised speed is 108mbps with a
firmaware upgrade.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 11:49:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

40 bucks after rebates at CC
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/D-Link-Xtreme-G-802-11g-...

Of course the 110 mode probably will not work with the built in wireless
since the 110 speed is proprietary?

Wayne

"Zip" <nomail@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:7rmdnSVmJrB8YAffRVn-3g@adelphia.com...
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you
>> sure it is in G mode?
>>
>> 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.
>>
>> Tom
>
>
> According to the D-Link website....the 614 is only capable of 22.
> http://tinyurl.com/2uoo4
>
> Anyhow....I think I'm going to just get a new router. I've been looking at
> the D-link 624 superG as a replacement. Advertised speed is 108mbps with a
> firmaware upgrade.
>
>
May 30, 2005 1:06:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

wayne wrote:
> 40 bucks after rebates at CC
>
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/D-Link-Xtreme-G-802-11g-...
>
> Of course the 110 mode probably will not work with the built in
> wireless since the 110 speed is proprietary?
>
> Wayne
>

Thanks for the Link.....They also have the Linksys WRT54G for $39 after
rebate.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 4:45:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Zip" <nomail@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:7rmdnSVmJrB8YAffRVn-3g@adelphia.com...
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you
>> sure it is in G mode?
>>
>> 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.
>>
>> Tom
>
>
> According to the D-Link website....the 614 is only capable of 22.
> http://tinyurl.com/2uoo4
>
> Anyhow....I think I'm going to just get a new router. I've been looking at
> the D-link 624 superG as a replacement. Advertised speed is 108mbps with a
> firmaware upgrade.
>
>

Ah, I must have different model than I thought. So yes, 22mpbs is
proprietary, which means it won't work with the internal card.

Best to upgrade to a G router. The 108mpbs mentioned will not work with the
internal card either -- it will max at 54.

Tom
May 30, 2005 4:45:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Zip" <nomail@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> news:7rmdnSVmJrB8YAffRVn-3g@adelphia.com...
>> Tom Scales wrote:
>>> The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are
>>> you sure it is in G mode?
>>>
>>> 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo
>>> mode.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>
>>
>> According to the D-Link website....the 614 is only capable of 22.
>> http://tinyurl.com/2uoo4
>>
>> Anyhow....I think I'm going to just get a new router. I've been
>> looking at the D-link 624 superG as a replacement. Advertised speed
>> is 108mbps with a firmaware upgrade.
>>
>>
>
> Ah, I must have different model than I thought. So yes, 22mpbs is
> proprietary, which means it won't work with the internal card.
>
> Best to upgrade to a G router. The 108mpbs mentioned will not work
> with the internal card either -- it will max at 54.
>
> Tom


Yep...been doing a bit of research on it. I think I'm going to get the
Linksys WRT54G...and be happy with 54 mbps.

Thanks for the help.....
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2005 10:00:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Zip wrote:

> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>>The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are you
>>sure it is in G mode?
>>
>>22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo mode.
>>
>>Tom
>
>
The DI-614+ was one of the first 802.11B routers to offer non-compliant
turbo modes; the first version of it was released before 802.11G (I
picked one up in early 2002). It requires a D-Link card capable of
turbo mode, but I've never bothered to trying turbo mode. The way it's
implemented is by channel banding, and it will cause interference for
your neighbors even if they're on different channels.

Personally I find it easier to walk over and plug in to the ethernet
jack (it has 4 100baseT jacks) if I really need to transfer large files.
802.11B is adequate for most purposes, heck I can stream MPEG4 video
without lag across it if I use the right protocols.
June 1, 2005 1:50:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
> Zip wrote:
>
>> Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>> The 614 is 802.11G. You should be connecting at 54, not 22. Are
>>> you sure it is in G mode?
>>>
>>> 22 is not a native speed of B or G. I agree it must be a turbo
>>> mode.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>
>>
> The DI-614+ was one of the first 802.11B routers to offer
> non-compliant turbo modes; the first version of it was released
> before 802.11G (I picked one up in early 2002). It requires a D-Link
> card capable of turbo mode, but I've never bothered to trying turbo
> mode. The way it's implemented is by channel banding, and it will
> cause interference for your neighbors even if they're on different
> channels.
>


That would explain why I was getting "choppy" internet connections using
that router with the new laptop. It still worked fine with the old laptop
and D-link card.

I'm happy to report that I went out and got the Linksys router yesterday,
and all is working great!
!