using ad hoc networks

Can anyone help with this? I have already tried many things...

I have no hotspot, but would like to use ad hoc.
How to configure?

CONFIG
1
telco-> ADSL modem-> hub-> 4 wires, one of them-> pc A
pc A has LAN card and a wireless card.
2
laptop has belkin card.

When installed they see each other (signal messages network
detected) but I cant enter. Message says no TCP connection.

How to do that without ICS, thats the question.

I have manually entered IP addresses.
ADSL modem has 10.0.0.138 so I am bound to that.
pc A has 10.0.0.20 for the LAN and 10.0.0.30 for wireless.
There a (sort of) bridge in between.

Laptop has 10.0.0.40

Everything else works fine, just not the ad hoc connection.
Microsoft wants you to use ICS that uses 196.... but then
everything is in disorder.

I tried 192.168.1.1 on the pc A (with 192.168.1.2) on the
laptop but then pc A looses the LAN connection. (problaby a
DHLC server somewhere takes over).

Hope this makes sense to someone, i am lost

thanks for your much appreciated help
regards
hans
5 answers Last reply
More about using networks

    Hans,

    To connect more than one computer to DSL you need a router. It could be a
    router device, or it could be a computer in the role of a router. The
    easiest way to make a Windows computer act as a router is with ICS, but
    that's not the only way. With NT, W2K, or XP you can enable routing between
    two adapters without using ICS.

    A router connects networks. There are two networks in your case: the link
    between the DSL modem and PC A (which has two adapters) is one network; the
    wireless LAN is the other network.

    You have no need of a hub between the DSL modem and PC A. There is no
    possibility of connecting another computer on this link, so just get rid of
    it.

    Different networks must have different network addresses. Every host
    (computer or router) in a network must have a host address that belongs to
    that network. You have assigned both adapters on PC A addresses belonging
    to the same network, even though they will be connected to different
    physical networks. You must change that. You can't control the addresses
    that are used on the DSL modem link; they are controlled by the DSL
    provider. For your LAN, you should use one of the address ranges that are
    reserved for private networks: 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, etc. There are
    others, but these will do. So all the wireless adapters in your ad-hoc
    network (including the wireless adapter on PC A) must have addresses in the
    192.168.0.x (for example) range. If you use ICS, these addresses will be
    configured automatically.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Ron Bandes wrote:
    > Hans,
    >
    > There are two networks in your case: the link
    > between the DSL modem (which acts as a router) and PC A (which has two adapters)
    > is one network; the wireless LAN is the other network.
    > Different networks must have different network addresses. Every host
    > (computer or router) in a network must have a host address that belongs to
    > that network. You have assigned both adapters on PC A addresses belonging
    > to the same network, even though they will be connected to different
    > physical networks. You must change that.

    Hi Ron, thank you for your answer.
    Sorry I forgot to mention that my ADSL modem contains a
    router and a firewall.

    Let me refraze:
    ADSL modem/router/firewall has 10.0.0.138
    Pc A has 10.0.0.20 for the LAN and 192.168.0.1 for wireless.
    Pc B has 10.0.0.21 and so on
    Laptop has 10.0.0.25 on the ETH card and 192.168.0.2 for Belkin.
    The LAN wire is remove from the laptop, to get the wireless
    working.

    There is a spanning bridge in Pc A connected to the wireless
    adapter.

    ICS not used. The two 2.5 GHz adapters see each other, but
    no connection. Problaby no TCP.

    I also tried 192.168.1.1

    thanks for your much appreciated help
    regards
    hans

    PC A is connected to two networks: 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 and
    192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 . Different networks cannot be connected by a
    bridge; they must be connected by a router. ICS can be your router. I
    would get rid of the bridge and install ICS.

    I hope that answers your question. If not, we'll keep at it.

    > Ron Bandes wrote:
    > > Hans,
    > >
    > > There are two networks in your case: the link
    > > between the DSL modem (which acts as a router) and PC A (which has two
    adapters)
    > > is one network; the wireless LAN is the other network.
    > > Different networks must have different network addresses. Every host
    > > (computer or router) in a network must have a host address that belongs
    > > that network. You have assigned both adapters on PC A addresses
    belonging
    > > to the same network, even though they will be connected to different
    > > physical networks. You must change that.
    >
    > Hi Ron, thank you for your answer.
    > Sorry I forgot to mention that my ADSL modem contains a
    > router and a firewall.
    >
    > Let me refraze:
    > ADSL modem/router/firewall has 10.0.0.138
    > Pc A has 10.0.0.20 for the LAN and 192.168.0.1 for wireless.
    > Pc B has 10.0.0.21 and so on
    > Laptop has 10.0.0.25 on the ETH card and 192.168.0.2 for Belkin.
    > The LAN wire is remove from the laptop, to get the wireless
    > working.
    >
    > There is a spanning bridge in Pc A connected to the wireless
    > adapter.
    >
    > ICS not used. The two 2.5 GHz adapters see each other, but
    > no connection. Problaby no TCP.
    >
    > I also tried 192.168.1.1
    >
    > thanks for your much appreciated help
    > regards
    > hans

    Hi Ron,
    I was already afraid that this would be the answer.

    If I choose ICS I can't see the modem /router anymore, I
    already did that.

    So it means I have to change 10.0.0.138 into 192...
    I suspect it is a factory setting that cant be changed.

    So testing with 192 and forth, there is no guarantee that I
    can set it back to its original settings (which I have
    tweaked anyway). Sounds like a lot of work too.

    Thank you for your help, you confirmed what I suspected,
    that it cant be done.
    -----------------------------
    Assume I leave the LAN at 10... and the wireless at 192, no
    internet, oke.

    But why is there no printer and file sharing ?
    Settings are on.

    regards
    hans

    Ron Bandes wrote:
    > PC A is connected to two networks: 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 and
    > 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 . Different networks cannot be connected by a
    > bridge; they must be connected by a router. ICS can be your router. I
    > would get rid of the bridge and install ICS.
    >
    > I hope that answers your question. If not, we'll keep at it.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Hans,

    It is not sufficient, or even possible, to make the two networks use the
    same network address. Different networks must use different network
    addresses. The link to the ISP is one network, and your LAN is another
    network. You must have a router between them. That could be a router
    device or ICS. I recommend a router device. With a separate router, you
    won't have to boot an ICS computer just because you want to connect to the
    Internet from some other computer. Home routers are low power and quiet.
    New ones also provide decent firewall capability. And they're cheap
    (~US$80).

    > Hi Ron,
    > I was already afraid that this would be the answer.
    >
    > If I choose ICS I can't see the modem /router anymore, I
    > already did that.
    >
    > So it means I have to change 10.0.0.138 into 192...
    > I suspect it is a factory setting that cant be changed.
    >
    > So testing with 192 and forth, there is no guarantee that I
    > can set it back to its original settings (which I have
    > tweaked anyway). Sounds like a lot of work too.
    >
    > Thank you for your help, you confirmed what I suspected,
    > that it cant be done.
    > -----------------------------
    > Assume I leave the LAN at 10... and the wireless at 192, no
    > internet, oke.
    >
    > But why is there no printer and file sharing ?
    > Settings are on.
    >
    > regards
    > hans
    >

    > Ron Bandes wrote:
    > > PC A is connected to two networks: 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 and
    > > 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 . Different networks cannot be connected by a
    > > bridge; they must be connected by a router. ICS can be your router. I
    > > would get rid of the bridge and install ICS.
    > >
    > > I hope that answers your question. If not, we'll keep at it.
    > >
    > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Wireless Wireless Networking