OS Language change

August 7, 2005 3:12:01 PM

Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?

I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
which one, upgrade or full English version? Is there any prior steps before
the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

More about : language change

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:32:17 PM

XPuser wrote:
> Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
> existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?
>
> I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
> which one, upgrade or full English version?

You would have to purchase a full version, as it isn't possible to
upgrade from one language version to another.

> Is there any prior steps before
> the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?

After backing up any important data to an external storage device,
simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:37:12 PM

Hi,

Full version - you have to do a clean installation. You cannot 'upgrade'
from one language to another (unless you are a corporate user and have the
MUI available to you), you need to format and do a clean installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"XPuser" <XPuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
> existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?
>
> I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
> which one, upgrade or full English version? Is there any prior steps
> before
> the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

August 7, 2005 10:29:02 PM

Thanks Bruce, M and Rick for your help!

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> XPuser wrote:
> > Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
> > existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?
> >
> > I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
> > which one, upgrade or full English version?
>

> You would have to purchase a full version, as it isn't possible to
> upgrade from one language version to another.
>
> > Is there any prior steps before
> > the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?
> >

> After backing up any important data to an external storage device,
> simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> HOW TO Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

August 8, 2005 2:16:47 AM

Multilingual User Interface Pack might be worth a look
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/Muifaq.m...

!