OS Language change

Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?

I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
which one, upgrade or full English version? Is there any prior steps before
the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about language change

    XPuser wrote:
    > Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
    > existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?
    >
    > I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
    > which one, upgrade or full English version?

    You would have to purchase a full version, as it isn't possible to
    upgrade from one language version to another.

    > Is there any prior steps before
    > the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?

    After backing up any important data to an external storage device,
    simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    Full version - you have to do a clean installation. You cannot 'upgrade'
    from one language to another (unless you are a corporate user and have the
    MUI available to you), you need to format and do a clean installation.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "XPuser" <XPuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
    > existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?
    >
    > I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
    > which one, upgrade or full English version? Is there any prior steps
    > before
    > the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?
    >
    > Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    Thanks Bruce, M and Rick for your help!

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > XPuser wrote:
    > > Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
    > > existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?
    > >
    > > I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
    > > which one, upgrade or full English version?
    >

    > You would have to purchase a full version, as it isn't possible to
    > upgrade from one language version to another.
    >
    > > Is there any prior steps before
    > > the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?
    > >

    > After backing up any important data to an external storage device,
    > simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    > opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
    > installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
    > devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
    >
    > HOW TO Install Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Multilingual User Interface Pack might be worth a look
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/Muifaq.mspx
    "XPuser" <XPuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Which is the best way to proceed in order to change the language of an
    > existing (already installed) XP professional operating system to English?
    >
    > I already know that one must purchase the OS in the English version, but
    > which one, upgrade or full English version? Is there any prior steps
    > before
    > the installation of the software, like HDD formating or the like?
    >
    > Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Microsoft Windows XP