Edb.log

I upgraded from Windows 2000 professional to Windows XP professional since
then I am unable to install any drivers and some programs even though they
are XP compatible and work on my other XP professional machines I read
article number 822798 which discusses this problem and asks me to rename the
Edb.log through the command prompt when I type in what they ask me to I get
the response "unable to access..... in use by another program..." nothing
else is running and do not know why this is the case. I have current drivers
that are compatible with Windows but after I go to the process of installing
them they just not become installed.
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Hello Jason,
    Be sure you are looking at the correct sub-folder. The log file at issue is at CATROOT2 not CATROOT.
    This one is folder referred to %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\

    If you do have that Catroot2 folder, rename it to something else, like OLDCAT2.

    From main Windows Start menu, select RUN, type in
    CMD <Enter-key>

    type in
    net stop wuauserv <Enter-key>
    net stop cryptsvc <Enter-key>

    Do your cleanup now.

    type in

    net start cryptsvc <Enter-key>
    net start wuauserv <Enter-key>
    EXIT <Enter-key>

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Jason wrote:
    > I upgraded from Windows 2000 professional to Windows XP professional
    > since then I am unable to install any drivers and some programs even
    > though they are XP compatible and work on my other XP professional
    > machines I read article number 822798 which discusses this problem
    > and asks me to rename the Edb.log through the command prompt when I
    > type in what they ask me to I get the response "unable to access.....
    > in use by another program..." nothing else is running and do not know
    > why this is the case. I have current drivers that are compatible
    > with Windows but after I go to the process of installing them they
    > just not become installed.

    still on luck the XP diver will not install on this one PC. What does
    %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\ If you do have that Catroot2 folder, rename
    it to something else, like OLDCAT2. From main Windows Start menu, select
    RUN, type in

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > Hello Jason,
    > Be sure you are looking at the correct sub-folder. The log file at issue is at CATROOT2 not CATROOT.
    > This one is folder referred to %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\
    >
    > If you do have that Catroot2 folder, rename it to something else, like OLDCAT2.
    >
    > From main Windows Start menu, select RUN, type in
    > CMD <Enter-key>
    >
    > type in
    > net stop wuauserv <Enter-key>
    > net stop cryptsvc <Enter-key>
    >
    > Do your cleanup now.

    > type in
    >
    > net start cryptsvc <Enter-key>
    > net start wuauserv <Enter-key>
    > EXIT <Enter-key>
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >
    > Jason wrote:
    > > I upgraded from Windows 2000 professional to Windows XP professional
    > > since then I am unable to install any drivers and some programs even
    > > though they are XP compatible and work on my other XP professional
    > > machines I read article number 822798 which discusses this problem
    > > and asks me to rename the Edb.log through the command prompt when I
    > > type in what they ask me to I get the response "unable to access.....
    > > in use by another program..." nothing else is running and do not know
    > > why this is the case. I have current drivers that are compatible
    > > with Windows but after I go to the process of installing them they
    > > just not become installed.

    Jason, your last post got mashed up. Did you try my steps?
    and then what kind of device driver are you attempting to install?

    What is Make & model of device at issue here.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Jason wrote:
    > still on luck the XP diver will not install on this one PC. What does
    > %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\ If you do have that Catroot2 folder,
    > rename it to something else, like OLDCAT2. From main Windows Start
    > menu, select RUN, type in

    It is a Wireless-G Notebook Adapter V2.0 form Linksys. I all so went to there
    website to download the newest driver for XP but still know luck. I called
    and thay said that the driver works with XP, and it does work find on my
    other XP notebooks

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > Jason, your last post got mashed up. Did you try my steps?
    > and then what kind of device driver are you attempting to install?
    >
    > What is Make & model of device at issue here.
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >
    > Jason wrote:
    > > still on luck the XP diver will not install on this one PC. What does
    > > %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\ If you do have that Catroot2 folder,
    > > rename it to something else, like OLDCAT2. From main Windows Start
    > > menu, select RUN, type in

Compatibility Windows XP