As my family's designated computer expert, I have a relative with a problem -
the taskbar has been dragged to the right and she cannot get it back to the
bottom of the screen. It is a windows XP machine, and the taskbar is not
locked (we already checked this). Is there a place in the registry I can
check to determine the taskbar location? If so, I should be able to walk her
through changing it. Otherwise, she is threatening to buy a new machine!

Thanks,
Glenn Harland

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/G. Harland/ said:

> As my family's designated computer expert, I have a relative with a problem -
> the taskbar has been dragged to the right and she cannot get it back to the
> bottom of the screen. It is a windows XP machine, and the taskbar is not
> locked (we already checked this). Is there a place in the registry I can
> check to determine the taskbar location? If so, I should be able to walk her
> through changing it. Otherwise, she is threatening to buy a new machine!

Left-click inside the taskbar - and hold down the button.

Drag to the bottom of the screen. An outline of the taskbar should appear
there. Let go of the mouse button.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

She claims to be doing this already. I asked about the outline and she
states she does not see it.

I think I will have her make one of my cousins come over her house and fix it!

"dev" wrote:

> /G. Harland/ said:
>
> > As my family's designated computer expert, I have a relative with a problem -
> > the taskbar has been dragged to the right and she cannot get it back to the
> > bottom of the screen. It is a windows XP machine, and the taskbar is not
> > locked (we already checked this). Is there a place in the registry I can
> > check to determine the taskbar location? If so, I should be able to walk her
> > through changing it. Otherwise, she is threatening to buy a new machine!
>
> Left-click inside the taskbar - and hold down the button.
>
> Drag to the bottom of the screen. An outline of the taskbar should appear
> there. Let go of the mouse button.
>
> --
> For most XP answers and tweaks...
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
> http://support.microsoft.com

Try remote assistance - quicker for you and her. Make sure she grabs in a
blank area of the taskbar.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"G. Harland" <glenn(_no_spam_)harland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> She claims to be doing this already. I asked about the outline and she
> states she does not see it.
>
> I think I will have her make one of my cousins come over her house and fix
> it!
>
> "dev" wrote:
>
>> /G. Harland/ said:
>>
>> > As my family's designated computer expert, I have a relative with a
>> > problem -
>> > the taskbar has been dragged to the right and she cannot get it back to
>> > the
>> > bottom of the screen. It is a windows XP machine, and the taskbar is
>> > not
>> > locked (we already checked this). Is there a place in the registry I
>> > can
>> > check to determine the taskbar location? If so, I should be able to
>> > walk her
>> > through changing it. Otherwise, she is threatening to buy a new
>> > machine!
>>
>> Left-click inside the taskbar - and hold down the button.
>>
>> Drag to the bottom of the screen. An outline of the taskbar should
>> appear
>> there. Let go of the mouse button.
>>
>> --
>> For most XP answers and tweaks...
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>> http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
>> http://support.microsoft.com

How do I perform the remote assistance? Is there a program I can run?
Something like PC Anywhere, I suppose, right?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Try remote assistance - quicker for you and her. Make sure she grabs in a
> blank area of the taskbar.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "G. Harland" <glenn(_no_spam_)harland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > She claims to be doing this already. I asked about the outline and she
> > states she does not see it.
> >
> > I think I will have her make one of my cousins come over her house and fix
> > it!

> >> Left-click inside the taskbar - and hold down the button.
> >>
> >> Drag to the bottom of the screen. An outline of the taskbar should
> >> appear
> >> there. Let go of the mouse button.
> >>
> >> --
> >> For most XP answers and tweaks...
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> >> http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
> >> http://support.microsoft.com

Hi,

Remote assistance is included with all versions of WinXP, open Help &
Support and enter it into the search box. It's very easy to use.