Windows proccesses ?

When I go to msconfig, which processes do I need to keep. Im down to 37
processes. I do have 512 MB ram which is sufficant, but when I am
playing a game sometimes I get a lag. This is also happening when I am
working on large graphics.
I am looking for a list of absalute bare mininumum of processes to keep
running. I did a google search and found some info but not a list of
which I am thinking of.
Docfl
22 answers Last reply
More about windows proccesses

    "docfl" <docfl@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > When I go to msconfig, which processes do I need to keep. Im down to 37
    > processes. I do have 512 MB ram which is sufficant, but when I am playing
    > a game sometimes I get a lag. This is also happening when I am working on
    > large graphics.
    > I am looking for a list of absalute bare mininumum of processes to keep
    > running. I did a google search and found some info but not a list of which
    > I am thinking of.
    > Docfl

    Doc,

    First, being "down to 37" is a misnomer. Generally, one probably hopes to
    end up with a dozen or even less enabled programs there. What I'm saying is
    that your machine is still loaded up with unnecessary slag.

    Here's a quick link, though I suspect you can find better by using
    www.google.com :

    http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/disable.asp

    Stew

    Try here:

    "docfl" <docfl@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > When I go to msconfig, which processes do I need to keep. Im down to 37
    > processes. I do have 512 MB ram which is sufficant, but when I am
    > playing a game sometimes I get a lag. This is also happening when I am
    > working on large graphics.
    > I am looking for a list of absalute bare mininumum of processes to keep
    > running. I did a google search and found some info but not a list of
    > which I am thinking of.
    > Docfl

    "Unnecessary slag?"

    There is so much hype on the web about Windows services. I'm so tired of it.
    And that's exactly what it is: hype spewed by people with big egos who
    imagine that they're doing something beneficial to their computers by
    tinkering with the internal plumbing of Windows. [I'm obviously not
    referring to you.]

    Unless someone has a specific problem with a particular Windows service, the
    only good reason to change the behavior of a service is for security.
    Otherwise, in a computer that's properly equipped to run Windows XP, it
    doesn't make a d**n bit of difference except in the mind of someone who
    imagines themselves smarter than the designers of Windows.

    The public newsgroups are filled with posts from people who mess up their
    machines by playing with things they don't understand. And then a Service
    Pack is issued that expects to see Windows configured properly, and when
    that Service Pack destroys someone's computer whom do they blame?

    OK, I'm off my soapbox.

    Ted Zieglar

    > "Unnecessary slag?"

    That's an accurate quote. I stand by it.

    Stew

    Well, my friend, in that case my computer is filled with "unnecessary slag."
    And she runs beautifully, as in speedy and reliable.

    Ted Zieglar

    > Well, my friend, in that case my computer is filled with "unnecessary
    > slag." And she runs beautifully, as in speedy and reliable.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    Ted,

    As the cliche' goes, "each to his own". And further, if that works for you
    (and works well), cheers to you.

    Obviously, the more powerful the system, the less of an issue it likely is.
    And I'm guessing you're not running a 1.1GHz Celeron with 256mb and WinXP.

    Stew

    Your guess is correct. In fact, I have a Dimension 4500. Not exactly stock:
    I've added memory, improved the hard disks and replaced the video card, but
    that's not why she runs so sweet.

    My Dimension zings because I've learned how to run her well. After years of
    fumbling in the dark with Windows, I found enlightenment. And one of the
    things I learned is not to tweak things that don't really matter. If the
    average user's computer performs so poorly that they have to drop otherwise
    benign Windows services just to get acceptable performance, then it's time
    for a new computer.

    On the other hand, if someone wants to open 'er up to see what she can do
    and they have a good backup, I'd say play with your computer until it starts
    to smoke. Most users who ask 'what services they can do without' aren't
    nearly that sophisticated.

    Ted Zieglar

    > Your guess is correct. In fact, I have a Dimension 4500. Not exactly
    > stock: I've added memory, improved the hard disks and replaced the video
    > card, but that's not why she runs so sweet.
    >
    > My Dimension zings because I've learned how to run her well. After years
    > of fumbling in the dark with Windows, I found enlightenment. And one of
    > the things I learned is not to tweak things that don't really matter. If
    > the average user's computer performs so poorly that they have to drop
    > otherwise benign Windows services just to get acceptable performance, then
    > it's time for a new computer.
    >
    > On the other hand, if someone wants to open 'er up to see what she can do
    > and they have a good backup, I'd say play with your computer until it
    > starts to smoke. Most users who ask 'what services they can do without'
    > aren't nearly that sophisticated.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    <snip>

    For the record, I'm under the impression that the OP is referring to
    msconfig/startup applications enabled, *not* services (msconfig/services).

    Perhaps I've misinterpreted the OP's definition of "processes".

    Obviously, there are a ton of services running on most all machines. I
    currently have 81 (not that I've counted until tonight) enabled/running, and
    I have no performance issues.

    Stew

    Hogwash!!!

    I run a Flight Simulator on my PC, with all kinds of add-ons. This
    is just about the most demanding application that can be run on a home
    PC. One way to increase frame rates and smoothness is to disable
    non-essential programs and applications that are normally operating in
    windows. A computer programmer has developed a program just for this
    purpose called FSstart. I have about 50 items that are disabled when I
    start up my Flight Sim. One thing this gives me immediately is about
    175 megs of Ram ( which is directly measured by the program) , that
    would be otherwise utilized for these non-essential background
    services. The FSStart program even goes though the items that are
    running and tells you what they do and which are safe to disable, when
    you initially configure it. The program also restarts these services,
    when you are though running Flight Sim, if you select that function.

    Thousands of people , many of them very sophisticated PC users and
    programmers, use this program and can directly measure the increase in
    performance of their machines.

    So your idea , that there is no difference in disabling some of the
    background items, is ridiculous.

    Bob

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:21:28 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Your guess is correct. In fact, I have a Dimension 4500. Not exactly stock:
    >I've added memory, improved the hard disks and replaced the video card, but
    >that's not why she runs so sweet.
    >
    >My Dimension zings because I've learned how to run her well. After years of
    >fumbling in the dark with Windows, I found enlightenment. And one of the
    >things I learned is not to tweak things that don't really matter. If the
    >average user's computer performs so poorly that they have to drop otherwise
    >benign Windows services just to get acceptable performance, then it's time
    >for a new computer.
    >
    >On the other hand, if someone wants to open 'er up to see what she can do
    >and they have a good backup, I'd say play with your computer until it starts
    >to smoke. Most users who ask 'what services they can do without' aren't
    >nearly that sophisticated.
    >
    >Ted Zieglar
    >
    >"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Well, my friend, in that case my computer is filled with "unnecessary
    >>> slag." And she runs beautifully, as in speedy and reliable.
    >>>
    >>> Ted Zieglar
    >>>

    >> Ted,
    >>
    >> As the cliche' goes, "each to his own". And further, if that works for
    >> you (and works well), cheers to you.
    >>
    >> Obviously, the more powerful the system, the less of an issue it likely
    >> is. And I'm guessing you're not running a 1.1GHz Celeron with 256mb and
    >> WinXP.
    >>
    >> Stew

    "I run a Flight Simulator on my PC, with all kinds of add-ons. This is
    just about the most demanding application that can be run on a home PC."

    Read again. You're not the kind of user I'm talking about. There is no rule
    that applies to every last user in the world.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hogwash!!!
    >

    > I run a Flight Simulator on my PC, with all kinds of add-ons. This
    > is just about the most demanding application that can be run on a home
    > PC. One way to increase frame rates and smoothness is to disable
    > non-essential programs and applications that are normally operating in
    > windows. A computer programmer has developed a program just for this
    > purpose called FSstart. I have about 50 items that are disabled when I
    > start up my Flight Sim. One thing this gives me immediately is about
    > 175 megs of Ram ( which is directly measured by the program) , that
    > would be otherwise utilized for these non-essential background
    > services. The FSStart program even goes though the items that are
    > running and tells you what they do and which are safe to disable, when
    > you initially configure it. The program also restarts these services,
    > when you are though running Flight Sim, if you select that function.
    >
    > Thousands of people , many of them very sophisticated PC users and
    > programmers, use this program and can directly measure the increase in
    > performance of their machines.
    >
    > So your idea , that there is no difference in disabling some of the
    > background items, is ridiculous.
    >

    > Bob
    >

    > On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:21:28 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Your guess is correct. In fact, I have a Dimension 4500. Not exactly
    >>stock:
    >>I've added memory, improved the hard disks and replaced the video card,
    >>but
    >>that's not why she runs so sweet.
    >>
    >>My Dimension zings because I've learned how to run her well. After years
    >>of
    >>fumbling in the dark with Windows, I found enlightenment. And one of the
    >>things I learned is not to tweak things that don't really matter. If the
    >>average user's computer performs so poorly that they have to drop
    >>otherwise
    >>benign Windows services just to get acceptable performance, then it's time
    >>for a new computer.
    >>
    >>On the other hand, if someone wants to open 'er up to see what she can do
    >>and they have a good backup, I'd say play with your computer until it
    >>starts
    >>to smoke. Most users who ask 'what services they can do without' aren't
    >>nearly that sophisticated.
    >>
    >>Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Ted,
    >>>
    >>> As the cliche' goes, "each to his own". And further, if that works for
    >>> you (and works well), cheers to you.
    >>>
    >>> Obviously, the more powerful the system, the less of an issue it likely
    >>> is. And I'm guessing you're not running a 1.1GHz Celeron with 256mb and
    >>> WinXP.
    >>>
    >>> Stew

    "Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > By the way , here is a link to the type of program that I am talking
    > about, that will free up some of the PC's resources when running a
    > game of any kind, not just Flight Sim.........
    >
    > http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/
    >

    > Bob

    Most of the URL's" listed in http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart
    require account login and passwords.....

    Here is more direct link to FSAutoStart program, no login or password
    required
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml

    SteveR

    "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    > "Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> By the way , here is a link to the type of program that I am talking
    >> about, that will free up some of the PC's resources when running a
    >> game of any kind, not just Flight Sim.........
    >>
    >> http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/
    >>

    >> Bob
    >
    > Most of the URL's" listed in http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart
    > require account login and passwords.....
    >
    > Here is more direct link to FSAutoStart program, no login or password
    > required
    > http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml
    >
    > SteveR

    Perhaps the OP, docfl, can explain whether he means services or startup
    background apps. Until and unless he responds, I pretty much stick by what
    I've posted.

    If he's got 37 startup apps enabled, his machine performance is being
    compromised to some degree depending on how much horsepower he has under the
    hood.

    Stew

    Ok Thanks to all. By processes I mean the number of processes in the
    task manager. I know that Windows does require some to run correctly,
    there are others that start that I do not need to run. I too play flight
    sim games and do find that the lower the number of processes, the better
    the game plays.
    Again thanks to all for the information, and will review the web sites
    mentioned.
    docfl

    > Ok Thanks to all. By processes I mean the number of processes in the task
    > manager. I know that Windows does require some to run correctly, there are
    > others that start that I do not need to run. I too play flight sim games
    > and do find that the lower the number of processes, the better the game
    > plays.
    > Again thanks to all for the information, and will review the web sites
    > mentioned.
    > docfl

    Hey doc - ?

    What machine model and what CPU and RAM specs.....and what OS?

    Stew

    "docfl" <docfl@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > When I go to msconfig, which processes do I need to keep. Im down to 37
    > processes. I do have 512 MB ram which is sufficant, but when I am playing
    > a game sometimes I get a lag. This is also happening when I am working on
    > large graphics.
    > I am looking for a list of absalute bare mininumum of processes to keep
    > running. I did a google search and found some info but not a list of which
    > I am thinking of.
    > Docfl

    Windows Process Library
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

    SteveR

    > Perhaps the OP, docfl, can explain whether he means services or startup
    > background apps. Until and unless he responds, I pretty much stick by
    > what I've posted.
    >
    > If he's got 37 startup apps enabled, his machine performance is being
    > compromised to some degree depending on how much horsepower he has under
    > the hood.
    >

    > Stew

    Do you not think that Microsoft have been instrumental in muddying the
    waters though?

    I'd describe myself as computer-literate and yet I wouldn't have a clue if
    it was safe to disable most of the (45 on this machine) processes running in
    Task Manager.

    "Generic Host Processes is trying to access the internet" screams ZoneAlarm.
    Sometimes if I say no then I simply can't access the internet. Full stop.
    Other times, clicking no doesn't seem to make an iota of difference.

    So to access the internet, I sometimes have no choice but to click
    yes.........so what information is Billy Gates then helping himself to from
    my machine?

    "Generic Host Processes wants to accept connections from the
    internet"..........what's that all about?

    And why does Windows Explorer want to access the internet?

    There are currently *seven* instances of svchost.exe appearing in Task
    manager/Processes. Surely XP doesn't need to run the same program seven
    times?

    It's one big confusing mess!

    Do you really think that "Billy Gates" gives a plugged nickel for what's on
    your computer? Only a paranoid or a conspiracy theorist would think so, and
    you don't impress me as either.

    If you want to know what Generic Host Process is doing, learn about it. It's
    explained in detail on the internet (also in earlier posts to the
    newsgroups, when XP first came out.) Don't blame Billy Gates if you don't
    have the time or the ability to understand Windows. I'll bet you have both.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Nick Cleevely" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> [...]

    > it was safe to disable most of the (45 on this machine) processes running
    > in Task Manager.
    >
    > "Generic Host Processes is trying to access the internet" screams
    > ZoneAlarm. Sometimes if I say no then I simply can't access the internet.
    > Full stop. Other times, clicking no doesn't seem to make an iota of
    > difference.
    >
    > So to access the internet, I sometimes have no choice but to click
    > yes.........so what information is Billy Gates then helping himself to
    > from my machine?
    >
    > "Generic Host Processes wants to accept connections from the
    > internet"..........what's that all about?
    >
    > And why does Windows Explorer want to access the internet?
    >
    > There are currently *seven* instances of svchost.exe appearing in Task
    > manager/Processes. Surely XP doesn't need to run the same program seven

    I'm not going to get into the middle of this argument but I thought I'd help
    shed some light on svchosts.exe. Here is the definition from MS Support as
    found in this support article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056:

    Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from
    dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).

    Unfortunately, virus and trojan writers have tapped into svchost to launch
    their malicious apps so it's hard to tell if the svchosts you see un taskman
    are legit or not.

    With that said, unless you really know what you are doing and do all the
    necessary research, I'd suggest leaving the system alone. I've had to
    repair countless pcs where the user thought they knew what they were doing
    in ended up making the system run worse or not at all.

    My advice; leave well enough alone and make sure you have the proper among
    of RAM and processor(s) to run the software you need.

    Rob

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:31:30 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    <SNIP>
    >If he's got 37 startup apps enabled, his machine performance is being
    >compromised to some degree depending on how much horsepower he has under the
    >hood.
    >

    >Stew

    If he's got 37 startup apps enabled, his machine performance is being
    compromised to some degree depending on how much horsepower AND MEMORY he has
    under the hood. Many of the startup apps are passive most of the time (e.g.
    NAV's email virus monitoring app), while some intervene and monitor some element
    of the system continuously. With memory being as cheap as it is (except
    RAMBUS), it makes good sense to throw more memory at the performance problem.
    This is usually a lot easier and less time consuming than tweaking the startup
    apps, but more expensive. Still, tweaking the startup apps often makes more
    memory available, but only if you know what you are doing AND there is some clue
    of information about what the startup apps actually do.

    Some of the 1000% superfluous startup apps I've seen:

    Applets to tweak graphics and monitor settings, which can be done just as easily
    thru the Display icon in control panel. How often do people usually need to
    tweak graphics and monitor settings anyway?

    Printer monitoring applets, which are usually started up automatically when you
    print.

    CD burning applets, which make it one or two clicks easier to start a CD burning
    program.

    Well, maybe there is something to be gained by disabling startup apps. To each
    his or her own... Ben Myers

    > On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:31:30 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >>If he's got 37 startup apps enabled, his machine performance is being
    >>compromised to some degree depending on how much horsepower he has under
    >>the
    >>hood.
    >>

    >>Stew
    >>

    > If he's got 37 startup apps enabled, his machine performance is being
    > compromised to some degree depending on how much horsepower AND MEMORY he
    > has
    > under the hood. Many of the startup apps are passive most of the time
    > (e.g.
    > NAV's email virus monitoring app), while some intervene and monitor some
    > element
    > of the system continuously. With memory being as cheap as it is (except
    > RAMBUS), it makes good sense to throw more memory at the performance
    > problem.
    > This is usually a lot easier and less time consuming than tweaking the
    > startup
    > apps, but more expensive. Still, tweaking the startup apps often makes
    > more
    > memory available, but only if you know what you are doing AND there is
    > some clue
    > of information about what the startup apps actually do.
    >
    > Some of the 1000% superfluous startup apps I've seen:
    >
    > Applets to tweak graphics and monitor settings, which can be done just as
    > easily
    > thru the Display icon in control panel. How often do people usually need
    > tweak graphics and monitor settings anyway?
    >
    > Printer monitoring applets, which are usually started up automatically
    > when you
    > print.
    >
    > CD burning applets, which make it one or two clicks easier to start a CD
    > burning
    > program.
    >
    > Well, maybe there is something to be gained by disabling startup apps. To
    > each
    > his or her own... Ben Myers

    Ben,

    Ya gotta love all of the HP entries, especially if the unit is an
    all-in-one. :)

    Stew

    Im running win xp, 512 ram(max for this system) and a 1.7 P4 in an
    inspiron 2650. I am running AVG, Zone Alarm.
    Thanks for the info people.
    docfl

    Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

    <snip>

    > I'm not going to get into the middle of this argument but I thought I'd help
    > shed some light on svchosts.exe. Here is the definition from MS Support as
    > found in this support article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056:

    Bum link.

Dell Computers