Need some parts advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkeane

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Will these bottle neck? And is there any point with the full hd glossy screen will the 650 manage will that? Or would i be better getting the normal hd matte screen

Chassis & Display Enigma IV: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED 16:9 Widescreen (1920x1080) (£35)

Processor (CPU) Intel® Pentium® Dual Core Processor 2030M (2.50GHz) 2MB Cache

Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)

Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM -DirectX® 11

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
1. What is the purpose of this computer? Gaming? Home Media?
If gaming, there insufficient performance to run anything modern on that resolution (1920 x 1080)
If Home Media, its perfect for watching 1080 p movies and office processing.

tkeane

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Only for some light games dayz would be the only big game i would play after that it would be games on steam
Em desktop doesnt work as i said in my last thread i already have parts picked out but i need the Mobility would it be better to downgrade the screen and go for an i5 processor

tkeane

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Sorry that last sentence about downgrading the screen to normal hd and getting an i5 processor was a question?
Would it produce a better performance , i could consider overclocking the Gpu some stage in the future

Okay so we are talking about a laptop right? I just noticed that this was under the Laptop section, so here it goes....

* Personally I would like the 1080p resolution for more screen real estate.
* I would like to have at least an i5 CPU to match up with the 650m GPU
* I don't mind glossy screens and matte screens tend to be a bit dimmer, if that matters to you or not.

With all that said, I have to picture what kind of costs things are. Personally I like to have a decent CPU with as much GPU that I can afford without sacrificing too much elsewhere.

When looking at laptops, I look for:

* Decent screen resolution: 1600 x 900 would be the minimum I would accept.
* Decent CPU, probably at least an i5, if I was going with an Intel based laptop.
* The most GPU that I can afford.
* Good build quality and warranty too.
* At least 4 gb's of RAM (I can always upgrade the RAM to 8 gb's or more by myself)
* 7200 rpm HD or a system with an SSD cache drive or possibly a system with 2 HD slots, so I can add an SSD later if I like :)

tkeane

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Ah finally some solid advice i can take from
The normal hd screen is 1300x700 or so
But i do have a full hd tv i could use as a monitor for when im at home and i could possibly upgrade the screen in the future , would this be acceptable?
650 is the only choice with graphics no others options
There is an option to add a second hard drive so im assuming that means theres a second port for future addition?? I doubt i can afford a 7200 hard drive right now

I would go with the 1920 x 1080 screen over the 1366 x 768 resolution, IMHO. It's much easier to have 2 screens up on a 1920 x 1080 resolution than on a 1366 x 768, so you can be more productive and efficient with the better resolution.

As far as the 2nd HD, I would just upgrade to a SSD of at least 128 gb's later, but only when you can afford to. You don't have to have an SSD, but it's performance speeds up load times and general snappiness around the OS makes the overall computer experience better.

tkeane

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Hmm stretching my budget to the max there thanks for your help :) and i see youre a team fortress player :p keep up the good work

Status
Not open for further replies.